Anyone kinda miss Vince Young?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Week 7,2007 at Houston.Wonderboy distances himself so that his god given talent doesn't distract the team.I'm sick of unselfish acts like that being misinterpreted by the haters.

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. titansfan24

titansfan24 Camp Fodder

that picture says a lot to me, look were the rest of the players you can see on the sidelines are, they are down there watching the play. Vince should be down there watching how it works when you actually get to the red zone not staying as far away as he can.:lol:

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I think VY might be one of those people that isnt willing to learn cause he thinks he already knows everything.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's hard for me to accept that someone who was rookie of the year can be a "bust". When I think of bust, I think of someone who NEVER produced. Like Paul Williams to this point. or Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith.

Since pre-season 2007, I've believed the Titans mismanaged the way they chose to use VY on the field.

If Vince fails from here, I'll gladly admit that I was wrong about how good he could be. But I'll still hold my viewpoint that Fisher has tried to turn Vince into a "don't make a mistake, pocket passer" type of QB. Vince needs a run first attitude to be successful in my opinion.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Undoubtedly but his early hamstring tear in 07 took away his legs.He still ran but even though his stats show decent yardage we all know he wasn't nearly as effective.

The problem with just letting him do his thing is that if he gets injured you have built your offence around his style.

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Vince didn't win ROY because he tore it up with mad QB skills. He won it because he ran for his life out there. It took the league one season to figure that out and then Vince went into meltdown mode. Bottom line, if the team thought he could win for them we would not be "missing Vince Young" right now.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

'Any' 1st round draft pick who doesn't play well as a perennial starter is considered a bust.

Robert Gallery of the Raiders is a good example.6th year and like to play for a long time in the league but by virtue of how well he's played compared to where he was drafted he is widely considered to be a bust.

Young is not a bust yet but for the Titans if he doesn't reclaim the starting job he will be.He was the 3rd pick in the draft.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Looks like I define "bust" differently. I would not consider Robert Gallery, a starter and respected guard for the Raiders, a "bust". He didn't live up to the hype or potential, but to me he wasn't a bust.

I'd assume you would consider Rex Grossman a bust as well. I wouldn't. He's not a good QB, but he did contribute and he had some good games for the Bears.

To me, a bust would be Cade McNown. Rex Grossman didn't live up to the hype, but he wasn't a bust like Cade. Just an example in how I look at it.

Vince won RoY because of his superior run skills along with mediocre to poor passing game. I won't argue against that.

However, "it took the league one season to figure that out" is more of an opinion than fact. I disagree with that. I think the injury and lack of receiving threat damaged his running game more than the league just figured him out.

I also disagree with the "if the team thought he could win" statement. Rather than dig myself a further hole to most posters, I'll just say I've lost respect for Fisher over the years. I'm not confident he makes the right choices when it comes to players. Over the years it seems to me that Fisher's emotions and feelings have too much impact in personnel decisions. I also think 7.5 million a season is too much to pay a QB (KfC) for simply not making mistakes.

In our last game, the Ravens playoff loss, if Vince had been the QB with 40 seconds to go left in the game, I would've felt we had a chance to comeback and win the game. Ok, I doubt we would have. But it's happened before with Vince. With Kerry, it seemed like game over before those 40 seconds were even played out. It felt like it in the stadium too. I mean, I know it's an almost impossible situation. Kind of rambling thoughts here, but its just something I've thought about.

Vince can be a difference-maker, a game winner. Kerry can manage a game. I'd like to see what Vince could do with CJ, an improved confident Gage, Washington, Scaife/Crumpler, and our current O-line.

He's got to get his head right of course. I just hope the game becomes fun to Vince again, I think that would generate success for him.

Truthfully, I admit I think the chances are much more likely that Vince will not succeed as a starting QB. Seems like too much is stacked against him at this point, and if the Titans don't give him a good chance, then he's not likely to get a better one anywhere else, especially one tailored to his strength.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

If Vince doesn't turn it around here or elsewhere he will no doubt be listed with the biggest busts in the NFL. His "asking out" will nullify his ROY in many minds..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar