Anyone use Netflix?

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Bobo, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

One more question, do they ship on the weekends? Or say if I ship back a movie Thursday, they get it Friday and send out another Friday (right?), would it show up Saturday?

Just trying to figure out about how much I can watch a month :yes:

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I think they only take time off on holidays, if even that.

3. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I have used both. The advantage to Netflix is that it might have the more "racy" versions of movies. For example, there was a documentary on the impact of the movie "Deep Throat". Netflix had the unrated, NC-17 version that showed about 2 seconds of why it was titled "Deep Throat". Blockbuster has the r-rated version. But of all the "unrated" versions of mainstream movies, Blockbuster has them, i.e. 40 Year Old Virgin Unrated Edition. That is the ONLY advantage that Netflix has.

Blockbuster on the other hand has a MUCH better turnaround time (I will explain), good selection AND instead of returning your movies thru the mail, you take them to your local store and exchange them for instore rentals. So, if you have 4 movies you got thru the mail, take them to the store and get 4 new movies and pay Nada. No, you cannot use them to rent games, but you do get 1 free rental coupon per month that can be used for games or movies.

Now how is Blockbuster's turnaround head and shoulders above Netflix? Well, for one, when you take them to the store, they are scanned as "returned". Then there is Netflix's wonderous policy of "throttling". They won't admit to it, but they absolutly do it. Here is what happened to me. I rent ALOT of movies. They come in, I "watch" them, the return them the next day. Well, Netflix would get them within a day or two and then immediately send the next one out and I would get it the next day. Awesome! Then after about a month, suddenly I would send it back and then instead of taking a day or two, it took 3-4 days to get there and 3-4 days to get to me. By the time I left Netflix, on a 3 out at a time plan, I was lucky to get 3 movies per week. I thought it was just me, but I did research and found out this was a common practice with Netflix. With Blockbuster, 4 out at a time, I am getting atleast 8 rentals per week.

To me, it's a no-brainer btwn. the two. Blockbuster wins hands down.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Well from a little research, it seems members of both sides have had slow shipping issues.

In store returns for BB does not always apply to franchise stores....so I have to find out if the 3 near me even accept this Total Access return deal or not.

5. Deuce Wayne

I really don't get the return to the store deal. I mean, if you need to return 4 movies in one day and get 4 more the same day, you seriously need a hobby. lol I never got it when they showed it on the commercial. "and you can return them to the store" - ok? Or I can just put them in the mailbox? Hmm. Go to movie store, or put in mail-box?
    If I were going to rent/return movies from a store, why would I need a deal like netflix or the blockbuster mail in? Seems pointless. Why not just use a movie rental place the traditional way if you have to have them that day?

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

BB Online for old TV shows like Sledge Hammer return them to the store for new releases like bridge to Tarabethia

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I would say I was in the same position, but my parents love the option of going to the store. They don't really watch much TV, and don't go to movies in theaters. They just rent movies, and they watch 3-4 a week. However, they rent a lot of movies that they get about 5-15 minutes into and realize that they don't like it, and don't watch it. So if they rent four movies, they may only actually watch two. If they have made some exceptionally bad choices, they may need to take them back and try again to get a movie to watch that night. Also if they've watch some of the movies they have already and only have one for a particular night.

8. Deuce Wayne

Cool. That makes sense. Never thought about that.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I'd do the in store return if I just had a urge to see a movie right away. I just did the Netflix free 2 week deal. Movie shipped out Monday, got here Wednesday....sometimes I may not want to wait that long or have to fit the movie into a tight schedule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar