apt. complex shananigans

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 520, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

ounces. I could get pounds

2. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

The company who owns this property, does the first letter start with a B? If so, this company is known for pulling this scam and there is a class action lawsuit in the works. Literally hundreds of others have been hit with this scam and they are banking on you not going to court. You'll get served with a notice from the courts asking you to appear for an eviction hearing. They are betting on you not showing you up. Then guess what, that $1,000 you owe, becomes a judgment against for you like 3k. They'll say you broke all sorts of things in the apt. They'll make up evidence.

My advice to you is to write them a certified letter, letting them know that you were led to believe the terms were this... then say that you feel like your recent demands for rent were UNFAIR DECEPTIVE AND ABUSIVE and tell them that what they have potentially violates state and federal laws. In your lease, there should be what is called a concessions clause where it spells out the terms of you getting your free rent upfront. If you signed this and didn't read it, then shame on you, but it is legally supposed to spell this out. If you go to court, I wouldn't worry about getting a lawyer, just tell the judge or arbitrator that you really want to stay in your home and that it was a big misunderstanding. They will likely figure out some sort of agreement to get you to stay, especially if you show up with a check book in the courtroom.

I am not a lawyer. This does post does not constitute a client relationship.

Every communication you have with this landlord after this should be in writing. In fact, tell them that and tell them that they only reason they should ever speak to you verbally is in case of an emergency.

• Boring Boring x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Nothing trumps like a written document and certified mail where you receive a copy that they received it is huge. The above advice is solid.

4. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

You'd think these apartment complexs are making hand over fist in cash. Some do, some do not. The ones that pull this stuff are usually broken down and giving people free rent to get them in the door. Once you get in the apartment and your 30+ year old building starts giving you problems, good luck on getting anything fixed because the complex is probably losing money and the manager is looking to make a bonus by staying under a number. If you can, buy a house. If you can't afford to buy a house, here is a guy who has roots in Nashville that will show you how to buy a house with zero or very little down. He's a sharp guy:

• Boring Boring x 1
  5. 8and8

8and8 Starter

If you don't have a down payment, you can look at USDA loans too. If you don't have 20% equity when you purchase, you have PMI figured into your payment which is basically money that acts as insurance for your lender.

Depending on where you're at $800 a month (escrow included) could get you a decent starter home on a 30 year note.

6. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

so I just found out my electricity somehow never got switched over. So the apt. Complex been straight payin my electricity for two months. So for 300$ I got two months rent, electricity included lol.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Some advice..
    Neither a renter nor a rentee be..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar