Are poor TV ratings a result of poor scheduling by the studios?

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Childress79, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

It seems like this year more than most TV shows are being aired in a stop start fashion.

Surely this has to affect the ratings of even established shows.Personally I want to view a shows season week to week without interruption through the course of a season.

24 and Lost are aired this way why not everything else.

Bones,CSI's,Grey's Anatomy,Smallville,Supernatural etc have a loyal audience but how are smaller shows supposed to get any ratings if they are aired in such an erratic schedule.

It was expected when they had the writers strike but now it seems random.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I can't even watch cable TV anymore. Too many commercials. It drives me crazy. Seems like a big waste of time. Not to mention most of what you see between the commercials is crap.

I have netflix, and have the box to watch programs instantly at home. I love it. You can't watch the latest releases instantly, but there's over 20,000 titles to choose from, movies, documentaries, TV shows etc. I never watch commercials anymore. I only watch cable for news and ball games.

I've seen some good things I never would have seen on regular TV, or renting movies. I watched the entire series of Ballykissangel and Monarch of the Glen, BBC shows you probably know of. Also "Slings and Arrows" a Canadian show Titanbuoy has probably seen. They were great...

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Kings is a victim of this. SO what do they do? Give it an even WORSE time slot. Genius, NBC.

4. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I watch HBO.

5. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Tv's definately gone down hill recently..i end up just watching reruns on TBS or stuff on Spike.

I don't think its the timeslots that are the problem, its the lack of quality shows and lack of network support when they DO have decent shows. Reality tv has gone on for far too long, crap like dancing with the stars/survivor etc..need to f'ing die.

TV needs to have better writing period.
    ________
    HALFBAKED

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I think they need to give shows a chance. If they are not rating through the roof in the first month they just cut it.

Usually shows get better in the 3rd and 4th seasons as the writers get used to the characters and get a direction.

7. RTH

RTH Meh...

A good example of this is what FOX did to Firefly. I loved this show, but the ratings were bad and FOX never gave it a chance... canned it for a great show like Life on a Stick - a sitcom about employees at a mall hotdog store. Yeah... as bad as it sounds.

So, what happened with Firefly? Well, for starters... didn't help that FOX aired it out of order. I believe the pilot episode was actually the third or fourth episode aired. So, naturally, viewers were completely confused. Genius thinking. FOX execs never gave it a chance to be successful. Good thing there was Serenity.

FOX doesn't give good shows a good chance. There are winners that they actually give a chance... but the network seems to try throwing crap at a wall and see what sticks.

When Family Guy was resurrected, I love how they proceeded to poke fun at the stupidity of FOX -

Peter: “Well, unfortunately, Lois, there’s just no more room on the schedule. We’ve just got to accept the fact that Fox has to make room for terrific shows like Dark Angel, Titus, Undeclared, Action, That ’80s Show, Wonderfalls, Fastlane, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Skin, Girls Club, Cracking Up, The Pitts, Firefly, Get Real, Freakylinks, Wanda at Large, Costello, The Lone Gunmen, A Minute With Stan Hooper, Normal Ohio, Pasadena, Harsh Realm, Keen Eddie, The $treet, American Embassy, Cedric the Entertainer, The Tick, Louie and Greg the Bunny.”

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

^ were they actually shows?

9. wtenn

wtenn Starter

To me, the worst mistake Fox has ever made was giving up on "Undeclared" less than half way through its inaugural season in 2001. Of course, they probably should have left "Arrested Development" on, no matter what the ratings said and eventually it would have caught on.

Oh, and I think there are plenty of great shows on now, you just sometimes have to look to non-network channels to find them like HBO (Entourage) or AMC (Mad Men).

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Nobody here ever mentions The Wire other than Kamikaz - probably the most brilliant show ever run on TV. Nothing on network even comes close. All 5 seasons are on DVD so there's no complaining there's "nothing on"..

Commercials are a non-issue with DVR.. And Yes, HBO/Sho is where it's at for the best shows, even if there's a slump currently.
    Looking forward to Last of The Ninth, HBO's new Milch show..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar