Are RB's better drivers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JCBRAVE, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm driving up I-95 last night thinking; 'there are some lousy drivers out tonight'. As I'm passing and dodging cars I begin feeling like football players might be better drivers than most people. Ive played running-back and felt there might be some correlation with running-backs being better drivers due to their needed skills on the field. In football RB's need to have a sense of whats around them to be as good as they can be. Knowing who's where gives that player a better idea of where to be and when. Is it me or do skill position players have a better sense of how to drive than others?

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Based on their criminal records, no. I'd say a higher percentage of them speed and drive recklessly, though that's in no way a scientific conclusion.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well I don't claim to be any superstar NASCAR driver but I certainly feel that the ability to figure out what the bodies around you are doing makes you a better runner/driver. I mean the whole idea of rushing the rock is not to get hit, and in driving somewhere you want to go point A to point B without any collisions. I can however claim to be a speed demon, or I use to be, but not after thousands of dollars in tickets and court time. Now I am a more cautious driver than before. Even now being more of a 'dad' on the road than a 22 year old, I still find myself dodging other peoples mistakes. As a matter of fact just as I was leaving work to get lunch this woman was driving the wrong way down a one way road, then I see her and made a move to avoid her and keep everyone around us safe. In my opinion the RB in me saw her as a treating linebacker.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

So your saying Chris Henry should not be allowed to drive?

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. OhioStomper

OhioStomper Practice Squad

As a truck driver who logs well over 100k miles a year, I will give you my idea of how to spot good drivers.

1. The higher population density you have the worse drivers you can expect. People around cities have no ability to drive at all. Not that people in rural areas are that much better, but they don't seem to make the stupid decisions on the road. I think there is just such a rush to get places when you are in a city that it just causes a big mess and a lot of people are way over their heads.

2. Size of the vehicle.
    I always watch large SUV's because 9 times out of 10 it is some soccer mom who really has no business driving a vehicle that size. They just don't have the skills to handle the added weight, lowered handling, and poor visibility of a large vehicle.
    Also keep your eyes on these people driving smart cars, prius, and any other eco-wagons. They are usually suits that are too worried about talking on their phones than paying attention to the road.

3. Truck drivers. Yeah, I said it. But there is much more to it.
    If you see these mega-trucking company trucks like Swift (sure wish I'd finished training), Schneider, JB Hunt, you know the names. If you recognize the name, then watch out. These companies hire people with as little as a few weeks of training and put them right out on the road with you. Many of them do not have the skills to be sent out with an 80,000 pound vehicle, but the big companies only look at the bottom line.

Who do you trust on the road?

Pickup truck drivers. Most people who drive a pickup seem to have a better grip on what it takes to control a vehicle well. I don't know why it is, but having traveled more miles than most people, that is my observation.

Also, truck drivers that are hauling grain, logs, hay, or most companies that don't have fancy looking trucks and you have never heard of them. Most of these folks own their truck and it is their living. They won't do stupid stuff because if they wreck their truck, they are not only out of a ride, they are out of a job. Owner-operators are more courteous, and safer by far than any big name trucking company driver.

So there is my opinion. I don't think if you gave me 10,000 tries I would ever make it back to the line of scrimmage in an nfl game. But I will put my driving skills up against CJ, Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders, or any other nfl player any day.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

OhioStomper....If I could add one more to your list of trustworthy, it would be tanker truck drivers. I spent a lot of years in the oil biz, and I've never seen a more trained, professional bunch. They had to work for years in the plant before even being promoted to a driver.

7. OhioStomper

OhioStomper Practice Squad

Oh, I totally agree. Basically any hazmat driver needs to be much more cautious than other drivers. They aren't always, but for the most part they are really professional.

I should also have added lexus, bmw, and mercedes drivers to the prius/cell phone list.

Also, I'm not saying this list is 100% right all the time. If you are a prius driver and you think you can drive, then good for you :)

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I used to think this when I was about 16. Using my 'vision' to execute switching lanes left and right. Almost like i could predict who would be braking and who would be speeding up. Squeezing in tight spots comfortably... but I dont try that any more. I think I'd be scared to drive that way now.

But I do still make some amazing defensive driver moves. The latest was throwing it in reverse to barely back up far enough to where a flipping car coming around a sharp curve missed me and hit the ditch beside me. No clue how I even did it that fast. I had to go in to the opposing 2 lane once also to avoid a car that pulled out in front of me, and spun it fast enough to be going the right direction before the opposing traffic caught up. Gone in 60 Seconds like.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

One time, I was trapped in a narrow alley, and a tractor trailer that was the length of it was rolling towards me, bouncing and exploding, and I was able to drive under it at exactly the right moment so that I didn't die. I'm amazing.

10. RTH

RTH Meh...

I KNEW that movie was based on actual events!

Go Vin Diesel, Go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar