Are Sims or Reed Poised for a Breakout Season?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Why do you keep citing articles that are demonstrably false?

You say the Titans were one of the top teams in free agent spending and spent $84mil. Since we only had approximately $67mil going into free agency, we should (according to you and the article you cited) have 84-67= -17mil in cap space. The problem is (for your argument) that it is a FACT that we have about $48mil in cap space...so therefore you (and the article) are wrong. But by all means...keep repeating it!

Here's a question for you. Is all guaranteed money in a contract actually guaranteed from day 1?

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I'll repeat this one more time. No one is advocating spending money to spend money. No one is suggesting we spend every last penny of our cap space. And no one is suggesting we need to 'win' free agency. To suggest we tried to get all of these players but no one wanted to go to the Titans but instead, they went to the Jags for less is ludicrous. In probably 99% of the time, free agents in their prime go to the highest bidder. Older vets already got their big payday and have a different agenda...win a ring, extend your career, or stay home. Most of the free agents we are talking about are not the older vets trying to get a ring (since we didn't even make the playoffs)....they are guys trying to hit their big payday so money talks! If Bouye was willing to go to the lowly Jags, he would have LOVED to go to an actual winning team! On the flip side, Hightower was staying in Pats land no matter what.

While I can point to several examples of big spenders in free agency getting a great return on that investment (Giants being a prime example of how to buy a defense), you will not find a single example of a team getting to the Super Bowl (let alone winning it) with $50mil in unused cap space!!!

Of course, there are major reasons why teams spending big in free agency fail. They are rather obvious. I'll give you a hint...it has nothing to do with how much they spend (which is exactly the wrong conclusion these articles focus on).

Point is, to maximize our roster and the talent ON THE FIELD, we need to spend a good chunk of our cap space to keep us competitive. Saving $48mil for a rainy day is a terrible idea!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Apparently you don't know what a fact is and neither does the person in the article saying we SPENT $84mil in free agency. Please explain how we spent that amount of money and yet (factually) have $48mil in cap space....?

It is a deficit in cap spent or a surplus in cap space. Both uses are fine. You might want to spend less time trying to argue terminology and more time trying to understand why what you're saying is wrong....as I have proven over and over again with FACTS! Like 67-84 does NOT equal 48!!!

4. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

You clearly did not even read the article.

None of what you just said is in that artiele.

#274 Dman5TX, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  5. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

If you spend $100 a new pair of shoes and then sell your old pair for $20. Did you still spend $100? Yes. Selling your old pair doesn't the actual sticker price of the shoes you just bought.

6. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

So, you're really this upset over the Titans not signing AJ Bouye?

Just because you think you know who the Titans should sign doesn't mean that's who the Titans want to sign. There are many variables into why a team does or doesn't want certain players. One of them not being "because fans think they're the best player".

I'm pretty sure Robinson made an effort to sign players he thought fit the team and helped the team get better. Just because your player didn't get signed doesn't mean nothing was done and the team didn't get better.

It certainly sounds like you're advocating spending cap space just to be spending. You're so focused on the numbers. As fans we can say " oh throw 30 million guaranteed at him!", all we want...the reality is they're playing with real money and running a real business so it doesn't work like that.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I make it as simple as I can make it and you still don't get it?

Let's try a simple question. Did the Titans spend $84mil that will be paid out THIS SEASON?

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Nope. But I want to win a SB and all that cap space could net us at LEAST 2 difference makers. Did you really want us to have a $48mil disadvantage on the field so we could win FEWER games?

First, I don't have a 'player.' Second, I never said nothing was done despite several people trying to put those words in my mouth. Third, no one said the team didn't get better. We got 1 starter and 2 question marks not counting special teams. We added several good special teams players. Are they better than Houston adding JJWatt? The Broncos didn't want Williams and the Jags didn't want Cyprien...but they are 'upgrades' for us? Maybe they can be....but JJWatt is a superstar!

That's funny, because I've LITERALLY said the opposite!!! Spending cap just to spend cap is WORSE than leaving it in the bank!

But again, nice try attempting to put words in my mouth.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  9. rekirts

rekirts Starter

It should be said that we're not playing at a 50 million disadvantage with rollover cap. We're just choosing to use it later rather then right now. The money will be spent on extensions and FAs of lateryears.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

We broke it down over the life of the contracts. We broke it down over guaranteed money. Now you want to break it down to just this season.

You don't think the Titans are going to be one of the top teams for that too?

2017 cap hit for FA Tennessee signed: $29.175 Million. Ranking 7th in the NFL.

Anyway you want to slice it, the Titans spent money this offseason, and they were one of the top teams in FA spending this year. The point I've been making this entire time. This proves JWill's "we didn't do dick" and "we could have spent SOMETHING" statements false.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar