Are The Beatles disappearing from pop culture?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Kids will keep rediscovering the Beatles throughout the years. Classic rock will be, and is now, even, studied in music institutions. Beatles and Stones will always be constant examples of music from the era.

My wife and I watched "Role Models" last night with Paul Rudd and Sean William Scott plus McLovin' and the little black kid that curses a lot, and Elizabeth Banks -- there were a few Paul McCartney references in the movie, but it was "Wings" and not the Beatles. Real funny.

If anyone has seen "The State" - sketch comedy from MTV back in the day, half of which started "Reno 911", some of who did "The Baxter (w/ Elizabeth Banks), or did various Snickers and Sierra Mist and those Bigfoot beef jerky commercials, who also did Wet Hot American Summer with Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce and Amy Poehler, or who all reunited for the movie "TEN" (10 comedy stories about the 10 commandments with all of The State, plus Paul Rudd, Jessica Alba, Fammke Jensen, Liev Schriber (X-Men Origins: Wolverine), Rob Cordray, Jeanine Garofalo plus more - whew - you should see "Role Models."

The State was a fairly short-lived sketch comedy show similar to SNL or MadTV, but fell somewhere in between. It's a group of 12 friends who all do the acting, writing, directing, editing themselves, and they by and large traded jobs each skit. It was brilliant and to this day, unreleased.

The point is these guys have come back together in more projects recently, with more notoriety. Together, sometimes they are unstoppably hilarious. Very very good comedy factory, if you will.

Ok. End ramble.

Just meant to say, yeah, they'll always be around. Kids will get turned on and turn more kids on. The magnitude won't be the same, but it'll be there.

And Rockstar, Rockband, whatever, featuring the Beatles will be huge. I saw a news story on that, and the sales musicians get from those is ridiculous. It is a viable sales channel for music nowadays.

What would be smart in a financial sell-out kind of way, which hasn't always been the Beatles' style, would be to time the availability of select things on iTunes and continue to release songs and albums over time. That happens, older people will download the music. Parents would share the music with their kids, it'd be more prevalent with college kids, etc.

Attached Files:

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I dont think music should be taken very serious.

people let it effect them way more than it should. it's just music. i can go months without hearing a song. i do not waist my time watching music related things on tv. it's just all pointless imo.

in the end it's very insignificant. you have to be pretty bored or mentally unstable if you need to hear music.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

They made a huge mark, whether you want to admit it or not. And you might as well consider there are two "Beatlles" -- the one you hate, same as the one they hated to become the one they did from Sgt. Peppers on, as was already mentioned.

Heck, even if you didn't like the Beatles per se, you could just follow George Harrison as a guitarist throughout and appreciate them. Even coppin' 50's r&b, the Beatles found a way to make it their own. They got props as white boys from the players of the day.

You, upon further review, are reminding me of a lyric from "Across the Universe." But it's understandable.

"Nothing's gonna change my world...nothing's gonna change my world."

4. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

ain't that the truth ...

go Beatles, Fat Elvis can suck it

5. nbtoppers2

nbtoppers2 Pro Bowler

then you must NEED it
    ________
    Daihatsu Esse History

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

[​IMG]

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I'm neither. Zeppelin is where rock music starts for me.

Cruds, I think you're just getting older and are less connected to what teens are into now. Like GLinks said, bands like the Beatles will always be rediscovered. It's cool to like the Beatles, Doors, Stones, Zeppelin when your 15 because it makes you feel like you "know more" about music than your peers. Plus, the blatant drug references help with the cool factor.

8. SifuSoul

SifuSoul Camp Fodder

Indeed!

I got into the Beatles late in the game. Admittedly, after seeing across the universe (in my defense, my only exposure to the Beatles had been their early stuff). Before them, I was way into Pink Floyd and Zeppelin. Once you turn off the radio and listen some older music, you eventually find you way back to the Beatles. Kids, with some friends with half-way decent musical taste will find their way back around to the older classics. Just takes some time.

9. SifuSoul

SifuSoul Camp Fodder

Win. Flawless victory.

Apologies for double post.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

everytime I hear a Beatles song on the radio, I instantly realize I am on the wrong radio station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar