Are Verner’s days at safety numbered?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Cornerback Alterraun Verner spent the last handful of organized team activities working as a free safety, backing up Michael Griffin.

But it’s unclear just how long that experiment will continue.

Verner believes he’ll return to his natural cornerback position during next week’s minicamp, partly because safety Bernard Pollard’s return (he was excused from OTAs this week) will boost the depth at safety.

“It’s been cool to experience and I think it’s going to give me a different perspective … but all in all, I’m still a corner,” said Verner, who’s started 31 games at corner over the past three seasons. “From what I know, it’s nothing permanent or anything like that.”

Verner offered a couple of other reasons the Titans have chosen to use him at free safety during OTAs.

“I think that the main focus of this whole thing is that just in case something happened (at free safety), they’d feel comfortable they’d have another person to do that,” Verner said. “They’ve (also) seen me play cornerback enough to know what type of player I am and what they’re looking for, so it’s a good time to get some of these younger guys an opportunity to see what they can do. So it’s a good time to get the best of both worlds.”

Coach Mike Munchak, however, made it sound as though Verner would continue to get some looks at safety.

“We always thought Vern was very athletic, which allows us to be more versatile with him,” Munchak said. “I think you’re going to see us continue to move that (secondary) group around and find depth. When you start thinking about the roster and how many guys you keep and who helps you on special teams if so-and-so gets hurt. … So, yeah, I think we’ll be doing that with (Verner) and other guys.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Verner belongs as a nickle-back, as he is perfect to match up to the opponents tight end. He is too small and slow to play outside CB or as a safety. The dude makes plays though, so I'd like to get him on the field as a situational defender.

I could see our secondary lining up as follows:
    Outside CBs: McCourty and BWW.
    Inside CBs: Verner, Campbell, Sensabaugh.
    Safeties: Whiffin, Pollard, and Wilson.

The only real controversy should be Verner vs BWW. Verner isn't meant to be an outside CB, but if we have to play him there until BWW is ready, so be it. I hope not though. I really hope Campbell can make progress and eventually get lined up on the outside as well.

3. smili

smili Starter

Verner has good intuition. There are certain guys that seem to be in the right place at the right time swatting a ball or getting a pick, and Verner has that knack. To me it often sounds like trouble to start changing a guy's position at this stage of their career, but in Verner's case it seems to play to his strengths to allow him to be back surveying things at free safety

4. 757Titan

757Titan We had zero pro bowlers

Fixed it. But I do agree and I think it's comes down to TC and Atv for outside, and no matter what Verner will play inside in 3+ cb sets

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Remember when Deuce Wayne told you guys this was just for practice? For a "just in case" scenario?

Yeah. That guy is pretty smart.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. RockyTop Fox

...except there can only be two outside CBs on the field at one time... I agree that Campbell should be in the mix, but he has to improve a bit first. But the more big guys we get on the outside the better.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It's all about the Griffin trade that is coming, bro.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

Bring him in at FS on some plays and blitz the QB or use him to play over the top of some teams that we are going to have to pay with a good WR. It's already been said that we may have some 3 safety looks. I am for creativity bc that vanilla 4-3 that we have been running has not been effective in years.

9. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

HAHAHAH dude once again you prove how clueless you really are!!

Jason McCourty- 6' 0" 188 pounds
    Verner- 5' 10" 187 pounds

2 inches is not that big of difference!

10. RockyTop Fox

Two inches can be a significant difference, especially on the professional level. 5'10 is probably the bare minimum you can have for an outside CB, and I'd only feel comfortable with a guy like Finnegan playing it. Verner is no Finnegan. What happens when our opponent has a 6'3-6'5 WR matched up on little 5'10 Verner? Verner will get dominated all day long against him. You gotta be able to match up physically, or you will have no chance to defend him constantly.

Two inches from 6'3 to 6'1 may not be a large difference, because 6'1 is plenty of height to play outside CB. But two inces from 6'0 to 5'10 is a significant difference, and it's a major hindrance. Verner's lack of athleticism too much to make up for his lack of height.

Nice try TWW2, that was cute. Feel free to disagree, but that's my take on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar