Are you ready to rent a pet?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Hmm... are they rentable?

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I would like to know more details about their health care plan. The article was very vague (unless I just missed it). What all is covered? Broken bones? Cancer treatment? Maybe it's the skeptic in me, but I have a feeling once you get into more serious conditions they'd want to make the "business decision" to just put the dog down. And I read you could "buy out" the dog in some situations if you wanted to take treatment into your own hands. But if they aren't going to be there when the serious stuff goes down I just don't see the point in paying them up to $160/month. Food and grooming can be had at a fraction of that cost.

IDK, to me, all of these "problems" this business is solving aren't nearly as difficult to solve as they are making them out to be. Many rescues these days will let you try out a dog to see if its a good fit. And even if you decide two months later it isn't a fit, most will take the dog back. They might give you a death stare, but they won't let one of "their dogs" go to a shelter.

Again it all goes back to responsible pet ownership. If someone can't be bothered to "properly take care of" their dog's health then I question whether they should even have a dog in the first place. If they can't be bothered to take the time to arrange grooming/boarding, then I question whether they should even have a dog in the first place. If they can't take a few minutes to watch some online videos or read some articles on basic training/obedience, then I question whether they should even have a dog in the first place.

Again, I just don't really see the target market. If you're rich then you can afford all these services on your own. If you're poor you can't afford $60-160/month for a dog. Hell, a lot of middle class people these days probably couldn't even work that into the budget. But hey, they obviously have customers so I must be wrong. I personally just can't wrap my head around it.

And the main part that bothers me is the possibility of a single dog being passed around from household to household. Dogs are social creatures and do develop attachments to their owners. It's a living, breathing thing with feelings. Not some toy you can just return or trade in for any reason you can think of. It's just not right IMO. We should be encouraging responsible pet ownership, and I think this business promotes lazy, irresponsible pet ownership.

3. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Id rent a monkey

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

$10/hr, stop on by.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The target market is elderly, sick, travelers and progressive west-coasters.
    What do you think happens to Grandma's dog when she dies currently?
    7 out of 10 - straight to its death.

The idea is to get the right pet before it goes in the home not to "try out" a bunch of different pets.Even if it was a try out deal, getting the right animal still trumps temporary socialization concerns.

The "problems" are very real. I deal with this daily even from my niche corner of the pet industry. A close friend worked for animal control in KY and he had to quit because the daily routine of picking up abandoned pets off the roadside was too much to take. Six months of the job and seeing hundreds of these dogs end up in dumpsters was enough.

Think again if you think quality food, grooming and boarding can't easily surpass $160 a month.
    My dog boarding expenses are typically higher than that for one weekend out of town.
    Vet expenses on top of that, forget it.

You can encourage responsible pet ownership til the cows come home. Good luck cuz it's been tried. I do it for a living and the few and far between take heed.

I question the "business decision" angle of putting down a pet as well, but so do pet owners. Every day thousands of pets are killed because the owner won't pay to keep it alive. Even if Hanna chose not to pay exorbitant costs in those situations the pet "renter" could very well opt to pay those bills. Hanna isn't forcing anyone to put a dog down.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

You'd die a painful death, too.

I hate monkeys.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

thanks cruds for making some sense out of that.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Cruds, you bring up some legitimate points. But IDK, regardless of whether or not there's a market for it (hell Ashley Madison has a market as well), the whole process just doesn't sit well with me. But that's just my personal opinion.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I don't ever get to keep no monkey..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar