Article on Young's management

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

damn spending his money before he got it. tsk tsk.

But as long as he isnt represented by -

The Postons
    Rosenhaus
    or that idiot who represents Pacman - Michael Hyguehde or whatever.

It's cool.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Dealing with inexperienced agents has to be something Reese wants no part of after Pacman's holdout last year. Imagine if the Titans take Young and he holds out.

3. Nash

Nash Starter

Warren moon was represented by Leigh Steinberg, as is Lienart...a class act for sure...I don't know if agents matter or not, but I do remember BUD was very pleased to deal with Steinberg in the past...

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Agents DEFINITELY matter. I hate the Postons, and their players.

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Jerry Maguire:greedy: Cushlash, Cushlash

6. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

very interesting...

7. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

The fact that Major Adams is quoted in the article saying negotiating his contract wont be that hard tells you all you need to know. Vince is screwed, one way or another.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

When the guy representing you in sport is named Major, you're screwed anyway.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I always thought this was a good idea. It saves you money. And it's low risk if you ask me. Ricky Williams is the exception. What I see more often is players who had agents and lost all their money. They end up with nothing. Never prepared to lead a life after football. While agents lives in the lap of luxury. In fact, I think players should represent themselves. If not individually, then collectively. This contract business is not brain surgery. There are ten thousand contracts out there to look at. If you can't figure out how to look at someone else's contract and develop one for yourself, then yeah, hire someone, but if I were to guess most of the contract is standard stuff. Once you've got it nailed down, then hand it off to a lawyer or agent for final review at low cost. That way you are protected a little. Most players Ought to know their market value, and like I said, if they don't know, or can't figure it out, they ought to consult collectively to get an idea.

I once read a book that I thought I was going to burn before I read it. But it basically said this about negotiating, Start at the middle. I thought someone should put a bullet thru it. Torch it. Kill it dead. That was the stupidest thing I had ever heard, and who was making me read this anway? But the more I thought about it, so much money is wasted getting to same place you would have ended up anyway. No side is any smarter than the other. You almost always end up at the middle and you lost money all along the way.

Bypassing all these high priced agents is a way to save yourself a lot of money and end up with the exact same contract.

And worse case scenario, if you insure yourself, you still come out with some bang for your buck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar