As we wrap up the preseason...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm hearing a lot about how much better the Titans defense is based on the preseason. I am encouraged but I think much of their success has been due to playing some horrible offenses and the Saints second team last night. The Seahawks gashed the Titans D early in the run and threw down the field with ease. That was really the only decent offense the Titans have faced.

I feel the run game is a total question mark right now. I certainly didn't see enough from the first team OL and CJ to make me think it's anywhere close to being fixed. As a result, we didn't see many long drives which is a concern with some of the high-powered offenses on the schedule.

Locker didn't show me enough to indicate he'll be any better than an average QB early this season. Maybe he settles down but blowing TD passes like he did last night, by as much as he did, indicates he's still not where he needs to be mechanically. The pass to Wright, where he was called for pass interference, was a thing of beauty so the potential is there. He's got to be more consistent.

As much as I want to drink the kool-aid, the preseason didn't show me a lot of improvement over last year's team. But it was only the preseason. We'll know a lot more next Sunday.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

I agree. I do think CJ looks WAY better than last year. He seemed more than willing to take what was there when it was only a couple yards. He seems explosive, quick, and obviously, fast. The O-Line hasn't really looked any better though. That makes me wonder if CJ will find no holes repeatedly and start playing hesitant like he did last year. I am VERY disappointed that the organization didn't do more to correct this problem if it continues into the regular season. I have no doubt that our young defensive players will be better than last year. Unless they aren't even trying to improve that is. Hard to judge things off of preseason play though. Especially the playcalling, which I've seen several users on this site complain about. lol

3. Architect

Architect Pain Train

The run game isnt fixed. We just didnt do enough to upgrade the offensive line this off season and it shows. The interior line has been on the decline ever since C Kevin Mawae left. I dont think we can continue to blame CJ for the poor running game. He looked like the "old CJ" when we played against the Bucs who are terrible against the run. Maybe the "old CJ" didnt go anywhere, maybe its the blocking up front.

And after this preseason Locker just doesnt look ready. I dont understand why we are rushing him out there for week one, especially with the competition we face earlier in the season.

4. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

Because Hass would lose those games and Locker can't get any experience on the bench. Hass was worse than locker this preseason. Hass is only getting worse. He's done. Locker has way more upside. He has room to grow, and he has shown that he has the ability to be a great QB. He needs the experience to be more consistent. Benching Locker for Hass gets this team absolutely NOWHERE. Again, if every team benched their rookie QBs for making rookie mistakes, then the league would be full of washed up vets like Hass.

5. Inaccurate Passer

Inaccurate Passer Starter

Locker looked pretty much the same, not that much improvement

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

It's gonna be a really rocky road with Jake this year, I just hope he learns and improves. I think CJ is done, this has to be a make or break year and you don't get to run untouched in the NFL.

I hope our Defense continues to improve, McCarthy is a stud, i'd like to see more from out DLine Ayers and Zach Brown who was all over the field again last night.

7. Stimpyhhi

Stimpyhhi Starter

Packers and Cowboys just released a few guards and centers. Anybody know Sampson Genus or Harland Gunn. Cool names anyways..... Loper was cut also. Did he suck when he wans in Nashville?

8. Parking Lot B

Parking Lot B Stud Duck

I had concerns with our team, but after Thursday night I really have concerns. I was very hopeful that we were going to show much improvement this season, but after our offensive starters played the Saints 2nd string and really couldn't get things going it really worries me. Jake needs the experience and time on the field and we've got to be patient with him, but as a whole I wasn't impressed with their preseason based on who they were playing. Grant it the Defense looked good, but again, until we play the better teams we will not know. I'm still not convinced that CJ will ever be "great" again. Something has changed, he appears slower, and undecisive.

9. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I think you're probably right, as much as I hate to get back to reality. He's gonna have his ups and downs, I just hope our defense can keep us in the games where he might make the odd f-up.

On this, we have different opinions. I think he's put in the work this offseason and will have a pretty darned good year.

Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

10. SRW293

SRW293 Starter

Both O-line and D-line have shown some improvement over the 4 preseason games. Still a lot of room for getting better. We were very basic in both areas so I am looking to see what happens that first couple of games when we open the play book.
    Locker will take some licks early but such is the life of a new QB. Still glad we have Hass as his mentor and backup.
    CJ, ...What happen to the days that if your RB got 1K+ in a season that was a good year. Will he ever hit 2K again? Possible, but is it really going to happen?????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar