Atlanta runs the option with success

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I'm watching Vick go to work. In case you didn't know Atlanta won against Caralina in week 1 and today they are leading TB by 11pts. Anyways, I'm watching Vick for a glimpse of Vince Young. Like it or not they are similar in ways... anyways, Atlanta busts out this option play and all of a sudden the commentary goes to Vince Young talk. Vick pick up nearly 20 yards on the play btw... I just thought I'd create a thread to kill some time before the real game starts... any thoughts on the option package or the validity or non-validity of drawing comparisons between Young and Vick? System concerns? Whoops. Derrick Brooks just picked one off...TD BUCS!!! there is a flag... illegal block... TD does not count... TB 1st and 10... still down by 11... That's funny... Vince threw a INT to Dyson last week... I still haven't gotten over Young getting picked by a former Titan. sidenote- There was a cardshow at the mall today. This guy had some mini helmets. There was a JMAC Titans helmet... I always liked him... just thought I'd mention that. :drink:

2. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

I think as a gimmick play it would work, but on a consistent basis would get handled.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

They have talked about doing it. I'm wondering how long it will be before we see it. It reminds me of Jeff Fishers Golden Age : The Bag 'O Tricks years... ahhh... memory lane... I'd like to see Vince be the most dangerous running threat inside twenty yards. I like the ideas of plays that are drawn up to produce running lanes along with a passing opprotunity. I'd like to see Vince be the man that gets it done. Vick leads his team out there. You know he's in command of the ///dirtybirds\\\

Is going to be nice to have Vince broke in to being a starting qb one day. One day Vince will be the new Carson Palmer, new playoff qb to come along. Just wait, hey, it may be today... Vince tears them up in the 2nd half... Titans knock out Chargers late 31-33. :biglaugh:

4. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

good jesus Vick and Dunn are running all over the TB defense lol...

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I just saw a lil bit of this being covered by Eddie George and Jason Seahorn on a football show on the Fox Sports network. They used it to success, and I think we could too.

We've talked about this before, and I remember reports that Fisher or Chow wanted to use it some? Was it this same spread option? I heard that the Dirty Birds got to thinking about using this from watching Vince in college.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Honestly, I think we should be a shotgun team. Every once in a while an offense is perfect for certain qb's. And Vince Young is a shot gun qb, I think. Just like Warren Moon was perfect for the run and shoot and short drops. Vince should always be going forward. Not backward. I don't see him as an option qb. If you are a gazelle, just take the ball and go.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

We need to look at other options:))

Any time you read an article on VY being perfect for the option pass they always say it won't work in the NFL because D's are too fast & too smart & VY will get killed.

He could get injured on any play for crikey's sake. He is an unbelievably athletic elusive guy,just by using it every now & again it creates other options(no pun intended) because D's will have to account for it.

I really don't think VY compares to Vick. If a D has the personnel to put a spy player on him & takeaway his running game he's basically screwed as a very average passer. The Eagles used Kearse to do it in the 2004 NFC championship game. Vick was 11 of 24 for 136 yds & a pick & he had 4 runs for26yds,

VY is a great passing QB that can kill a D with his legs.

There really is no legitimate comparison between the two of them.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

ahh... division by multiplication. :brow:

9. i posted something about how we should use this exact thing that atl was doing in another thread last sunday...

10. atlanta coaches discussed with Texas coaches on how VY was utilized. it is no surprise vick is doing well. the Titans will need to utilize a system for vince, not a system vince needs to learn that does not utilize his unique talents.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...1806sep18,0,7352968.story?coll=orl-home-promo

"Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin heard the offseason rumors about Atlanta Falcons coaches -- in their search to find the right system for quarterback Michael Vick -- visiting with college staffs at Texas, West Virginia and Florida."

"The Falcons operated a good deal from the shotgun formation, allowing Vick to belly-fake to Dunn and commit to taking off underneath the Bucs' hard-rushing defensive ends, the way Vince Young did for Texas and Alex Smith did at Utah."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar