Atlanta runs the option with success

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I would consider Brown a slasher back. He isnt really that fast, and he isnt really a power back. He is somewhere in between. He makes nice cuts at time and isnt necessarily a straight ahead runner, but he also isnt the guy who is going to just run by the defense. That is would I consider a slasher back.

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

A qb can still slide or go out of bounds. He's going to take hits regardless, and I doubt he's in a lot more danger if the spread option (which you can pass out of or run with a back) is used a few plays on a few series.

I don't see how a speed back is required to run that O.

3. alright thanks

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

A speed back is necessary because you have to have someone who can get around the corner before the linebacker can get there. There is a reason you havent seen the option very much in the NFL, and it is because the LBs are so fast and your setting both your QB and RB up to take major hits everytime you run it. Now, I watched some of the Atlanta game last week and what I saw there option was more like a draw, where Vick either runs it up the middle or flipped it out to Dunn, depending basicially on whether the DE went to the outside or inside. But who are we going to flip it out to that can turn the corner like Dunn can? I think its a gimmick that is going to be relatively short lived. Im not saying we couldnt use it here and there, but I dont think we have the type of RBs that can run it successfully on a consistant basis.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

We're talking about a spread option, not a traditional option. Dunn can run up the middle in that option, and did a lot already. It's the same option VY ran in college, his backs ran up the middle a lot. It has ways where he can run outside or inside, same for the backs, or he can pass the ball. Does require a fast QB, but the backs don't have to be burners.

6. as long as they can get into the open field thats all that matters

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I watched some of Atlantas game last week, and like I said, I think we could do it here and there with Vince and be ok. But I do think you need a burner back who can just take the ball and out run people, whether it be on the outside or up the middle. Personally I just think its a gimmick that is going to end up getting your QB killed. I think its kind of like the run and shoot. You can do it for a while, but eventually the LBs are going to take that extra step and take their shots at the QB. Even if they get a flag they are still going to make the offense make a decision whether they want to stick with that and get the QB killed, or if they want to protect their Qb. So I think it is ok here and there, but I dont see it having a long shelf life.

8. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Alex Smith mastered the spread offense in college under Urban Meyer. Smith tooks his lumps last year, and it paid off. I agree with Gunny.

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Alex Smith is a hell of an athelete and supposedly extremely intelligent. Smith is going to be really good at some point I think. VY certainly has as much potential, but I agree with Gunny too, there is no way that VY is as good as Smith right now.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar