Available OL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Jwill1919, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRayStay

JRayStay Starter

Somebody posted this over at TR,....

Paul Kuharsky ESPN Staff Writer

The Titans are monitoring what's going on with free-agent guard Evan Mathis, source tells me. I suspect interest could intensify if first team isn't better Sunday versus Rams. Also not a bad message to send to guys in Nashville now who need to play better.

6m

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Chance9

Chance9 Starter

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

4. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

So if we sign Mathis, how does line look?
    LT - Lewan
    RT - Poutsai
    G- Warmack
    G- Mathis
    C - Levitre?? or cut?

5. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

If Mathis come here, I think they give him Levitre's locker and throw his belongings on the curb outside the facility.

• LOL LOL x 4
  6. Bri

Bri Camp Fodder

Matias could be totally fine. I don't get this line of thinking by the Titans.
    He was a supposed UDFA steal and has been fine in camp and rock solid in week 1 of preseason. If you start at Florida State for 3 years, you're probably pretty good and have excellent top-level college experience. All this flip-flopping of has been Ts playing G just makes me want to see Matias with the ones.
    If they sign Mathis, then they'll probably keep a has been T as a backup and cut Matias.
    I understand the stigma of rookie linemen and protecting Mariota like he's the franchise darling but there is zero reason to not try him in a preseason game with the ones. See how he looks and make a decision on keeping him(not starting him) before signing Mathis.
    Whisenhunt "kills me" when he doesn't reward good production on the 2nd and 3rd teams with a bump up.
    I'm expectant that they'll cut him and he'll go get a job with another team and then in 2016 Mathis and Bell will need to be replaced so ultimately they'll have nothing in a year.
    Mathis will want too much money and is old. Bell won't need to be paid like a T.
    It shouldn't seem absurd to say check out the guying doing well with the second unit.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Bri

Bri Camp Fodder

No because he's giving Poutasi the same treatment as Lewan. Lewan outplayed Oher but didn't start at RT last year. Injury to Roos and Lewan temporary filling in well for an injured Warmack got him the starts at LT. Maybe even Stingily being hurt, can't remember when he got hurt.
    Poutasi probably won't start til week 4 or so once the others stink because he's not a veteran and it's a stupid line of thinking.
    You can reason it out all ya want, but if he wasn't starting Lewan as a rook, he ain't starting Poutasi.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The problem with the Blackson pick is that everyone besides the Titans had him a round or more later than we took him and we are stacked at DL. Meanwhile, we need a new OG and RT, had value sitting right there and ignored it. Does Webster know we run a 3 down line formation but we need 5 starters at OL? Which line has more quality depth?

To make matters worse, virtually every think Poutasi will need to move inside...so...not good and he's been trying to fix the OL for a few years now!

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I agree with most of your points but Matias played on the 3rd string line during the game. The second unit was Stingily, Meredith, Velasqez, Poehler, Poutasi. But I agree, he had a nice game so I'd drop Poehler down and move Matias up at RG and see how he does with the 2's. At that point he can compete for a starting spot. A lot of people had Matias as a mid-late round pick and I think we can see some ability.

Outside of Chance and Lewan, everyone is competing for spots on the first and second units so throw him into the mix. In my book you're either moving up or down and he's moving up right now and some of our starters are going the other way. Would like to see him get some 2nd team reps and see if he is still playing well against that level of comp.

But I also strongly agree I don't want a useless vet to be kept and cut a guy like Matias because guys like Levitre need to be cut with some of the younger guys being brought up and developed for a year or two.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Mathis isn't visiting TN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar