Avast & Spyware question

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Gunny, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Does anyone know if Avast Anti-virus detects spyware and are there other free spyware removal programs about?

I don't think I have any but I like to be sure.

2. mdfan

mdfan Starter

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Sweet thanks.

4. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Use FireFox with AdBlockPlus and NoScript, and you don't really have to worry about it.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I do use firefox.

6. I agree about AdAware. You might also try Spybot Search & Destroy. And Windows Defender (from Microsoft).

As for Avast, it only scans for viruses, not spyware.

7. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

As long as you don't enable its ActiveX emulators, you should not pick anything up while running NoScript.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Eh. I just got a some spyware trojan thing. I gotta clean out some crap. What a pain. I have to turn off some security to listen to my voice mail messages on the internet. And thus, I was nailed.

9. ONUV

ONUV Starter

you might want to check out hijackthis while you're @ it

10. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

I also recommend using Trend Micro's HouseCall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com) every once in a while... or when Avast! or AVG doesn't catch/uninstall something that is eating your system. It pretty much repaired an HP system for one of my clients all on it's own. He had AVG, but one virus slipped through and wouldn't let AVG detect it. :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar