bad news on the CBA

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

2. titanduck77

titanduck77 Camp Fodder

this is terrible news.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

The union is asking for 60 percent and the league's current offer is 56.2 percent? All for this? :barf:

post 2k sucks.:sad2:

4. maximus

maximus Starter

Give the union between 58 and 59 percent

5. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I agree. Both sides have a sweet deal. They better not screw with it much.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

The word around the combine on the CBA talks is that the NFLPA is asking for 61 percent of total revenues and that the NFL is willing to give 57 percent. Each percentage point is worth around $1 billion over the six-year extension being talked about. It's likely that the sides could settle at 59 or 59.5. NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw insists he won't extend the start of free agency past March 3, but commissioner Paul Tagliabue is trying to get a deal done by Wednesday at 4 p.m., and hoping to push free agency back to March 10.

8. I really don't understand why are we keep letting go good and veteran players like Hopkins if last year made the cap purge and still we have cap problems, I don´t understand that.

9. maximus

maximus Starter

We not completely out of the woods yet, we still have dead money from the contracts of the players that we cut last year. Give another year or two and we should be completely out of the woods

10. sdavis2k

sdavis2k Guest

Its about how they cut players and before this year has been about when. June 1st cuts like the Titans did last year were split in half. Half penalized against their cap then and the other half this year. Plus players who they let go are stilled payed for their contracts but the contract goes less against the cap. (Or something, I know last year we finished paying off Eddie George's contract finally.)

Basically with the current CBA in play, teams have been able to jiggle and juggle salary numbers around but with the current CBA being in its last year they have ran out of tricks to do with cap money.

The good news is most teams are going to have to cut players to make it below the cap and very few teams will have the money to sign anyone. I think when the players realize they won't be playing anywhere without a new CBA they'll get one done very quickly so teams have more cap room to sign them.

Heres a link to a ESPN article on WHO most teams will likely have to cut to get below cap range, and honestly alot of their perdictions have already panned out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2341755

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar