Barry Bonds

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RyansTitans, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

1. He admitted to using the cream though didn't know it was a steroid (if you buy into that).
    2. The steroid was developed to not be detected by any test.

So Bonds admitted to using it and no test could detect it. So, yeah, he never tested positive. :rolleyes:

2. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

That would actually require the MLB to have had a test in place when Barry was allegedly taking steroids, which wasn't the case.

3. TitanJeff

True. I believe he was tested in Sept '04. Nearly a year after the BALCO raid where they found Bonds name all over stuff documenting his use.

Interesting article that claims owners were told steroids (illegals drugs) were banned as far back a 1991:
    http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/03/on_books_bonds.html

"Commissioner Fay Vincent sent the clubs a memo in 1991 reminding them that players were forbidden from taking any illegal substance. He specifically mention steroids in the memo and encouraged the clubs to take a get-tough policy on players thought to be using steroids.

What could a team have done if it suspected a player of using steroids? Probably nothing.

Vincent simply wanted to be on the record as letting the clubs know that steroid use was against the rules and that they shouldn't be afraid to confront a player.

There was no testing for steroids until 2003 (after being part of the 2002 labor agreement)."

4. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Barry hits another one. I'm sure Ryan will be in here soon

5. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

You damn right im here

6. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

"The roid years" is such a bland name. If your idea is going to catch wind it needs a better ring to it .....

Like "Super Barry Years" - Mario Brothers or something ...

I am sure there are better names ....

Fact is he is still on pace to hit 30 this season and has been slumping lately. He gets on a hot streak like the beggining of the season he could hit 35+. Not on roids and at 42.

Before I can post there goes another .... NON ROID BALL ....

7. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

This is funny.

[​IMG]

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

TJ- I respectfully recognize you and I differ on how much blame and "punishment" we should put on Bonds and I'm not trying to change your opinion. I just want you appreciate (and I think you do) that Bonds was not alone in his use of steroids. The decision for him to start wasn't as simple and "black and white" as everybody wants to make it out be. MLB was in a real financial crisis after the 94 strike. Fans weren't coming back.

I speculate, but strongly believe, that there was a passive "green light" for players, owners and league officials to "do what it takes" to the fans back. To inject excitement in the game. So use of steroids and GH analogues increased. We had the Sosa/McGwire slugfest, then Bonds, Canseco, Sheffield, etc. jumped in and HR's went out the roof. Fans and media went banannas and came back to the game. There were no rules against steroids until 2002 when the game was financially secure again. Guys started to clean up their acts and get off the juice. The league had to clean it up because it was so obvious and Congress started getting involved for their own political reasons.

Now imagine if you're a player and you knew that you would have to "do what it takes" to secure your livelihood and there were not any rules against it. There was no league standard to NOT do it. At the time being on steroids was not officially deemed unacceptable by your employer in policy and most likely was "wink wink" not something to be talked about.

People want to hang Bonds because he has a personality that most consider offensive. People need a fall guy, an example, something (somebody) physical to represent their disgust. Bonds is the natural choice, particularly because he is so successful and surpassed a record that was formerly considered "unapproachable".

I just wish people would re-direct their anger from Bonds to the league officials who IMO are getting away scott-free from an obviously negligent administration in the 90's. The memo you reference is a "paper-trail" to protect themselves. Obviously, they were well aware of the problem. A mandatory testing policy should have been introduced at the time of that memo rather than some candyass memo. Personally, I don't think Bonds would have EVER considered steroid use (as would have many others) had the commissioner and the league not looked the other way during a period of financial crisis.

BLAME THE EFFIN LEAGUE OTHER PLAYERS WITH THE SAME VEHEMENCE AS BONDS IS RECEIVING. That is only fair IMO.

9. TitanJeff

Lawd no. There is a long list of guys who took them. But the didn't break the most hallowed record in baseball so the focus isn't on them.

I blame MLB for doing nothing more than giving it lip service. But the players union also had a weak arse policy for testing when it became a known problem. So there is a ton of blame to go around here.

Here's where I draw the line. Bonds was probably a top-10 player in the league up to that point. He's generating big numbers without needing the stuff. I could see the Gonzos and other mid-tier guys being tempted because they had more to gain. But not Bonds.

Bonds is the focus because of the record. If it were McGuire, I think the same thing would be discussed.

Baseball put itself in a bad place and drove the fans away from the game. But the league didn't introduce the stuff to the players. The league just turned a blind eye. Yes, they are much of the blame but go back and look at the players union's role in this too. They too knew chicks dig the long ball and saw the dollar signs as fans returned to the park. They fought testing for years.

There is a lot of blame to go around but it doesn't lessen the fact that Bonds used illegal substances to give himself an advantage in achieving the HR record. That, any way you want to look at it, is cheating. Thus, any record broken while cheating is tainted.

When this thing plays out, I think history will show the players, the union and the league all share the blame for the use of steriods.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I just can't agree with this. Bonds was the focus right after he broke McGwire's record. There was little attention directed toward McGwire or Sosa. Bonds has been "villainized" to an unprecedented degree in the media and by a large portion of the public as a result. It is OK in my book to not like him because of his personality, but it is not OK in my book to justify the hate with the view that he alone is a "cheater". The fair thing would be to spread the blame around to where it belongs.

I hope so. It is only fair. Bonds takes alot of hate from people that should be spread around to other players league officials where it belongs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar