Barwin ran a 4.47 at Cincinnati's Pro Day

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

It's like a Duel of Incredibly Long Posts.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

My goodness, the guy runs a decent 40 and we have fantasies of this guy playing all defensive positions and some TE. First of all this guy might not even be a LB at all. That is pure speculation. If we ran a 3-4 he might be worth drafting and finding a spot for him considering he could hypothetically play OLB, MLB or DE. However, there is no way you draft this guy high when you play a 4-3. The guy might suck at LB and might only be a situational pass rusher. The risk isn't worth it unless we are talking about a 3rd round pick. ALso, his TE play might not be all that wonderful either. After all the guy did move from TE to DL. You don't move All American TEs to DE.

Quite honestly I don't see this guy being a 1st round pick for a 4-3 team.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Bryant Johnson is there #2...whos pretty much Justin Gage. So why would you want another guy who's the same but not gonna play that much?

First, why would you give White the value of higher than a 3rd rnd pick when if all you want is a good backup, you can get that and spend less cap space. Doesn't make a lot of sense. And why would we spend 4+mil on a backup player? Or put another way, would you rather re-sign LenDale White or keep Bulluck and KVB. If you start 'wasting' cap space on backup players, you're gonna have to start losing starters instead. Drafting a replacement for White isn't that hard...

White is not gonna complain while he's with the Titans, but I think he'd like a big payday and that means getting paid as a starter, not a backup! Not a chance in heck we or anyone else with through a franchise tag on Lendale.

Exactly my point. If they can get a starter in the 3rd rnd for cheap, why would they spend a good draft pick and 4-4.5mil a year on a backup???

No way we franchise White at near 7mil a year! Scaife at least led our team in receptions and is on the field constantly. White isn't and we're gonna pay him nearly twice as much? No way. And the Titans don't like how much they are tendering Scaife right now.

They need a slot guy in rnd 3-5, not a Gage type they already have.

Lastly, I'll disagree that White's value decreases. Johnson must be protected. If it was just White, you're left with replacing White. Remove White from the equation and then lose Johnson, it's a much farther falloff.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I still don't get it. If I can get a backup rb who'll give me similar production to White, why do I wanna give up a mid draft choice and 4-5mil in cap room for it?

No thanks.

Gut

4. PBV

PBV Camp Fodder

Interesting article, apparently the Titans have scheduled a visit with Connor Barwin.
    http://nyj.scout.com/a.z?s=65&p=2&c=851917

I like that he potentially could be plugged into several different roles, but I get a little nervous thinking about it.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I don't see why he wouldn't, really. They are similar, but Gage has outproduced Johnson who is playing next to Johnson. Yeah, he had Orlovsky and Culpepper, but Warner prior to that. I think he is what he is at this point. I'd still lean toward Gage having more upside.

(I'll have to come back to this. -- Heroes, 24...)

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Johnson has more catches but Gage has more yards. I think they are similar #2 WR's and I don't think either is gonna change very much at this point. Aren't they both 28 or something? I think they are what they are...which is not worth a 3rd round pick if you can get a better slot guy in rnd 3 or 4. heck, they might get a WR better than Gage or Johnson in rnd 3.

Gut

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree they are similar. I just think it'd be interesting to see what Gage could do next to Calvin Johnson. Also, Gage wasn't healthy or consistent. The year prior it took him some time to come on. I just think he has his best ahead of him still. If you were to chart it, you could say that Johnson has been productive longer, but also that he has plateaued for much longer as well.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Are you asking me why I would value our own player higher when trying to accomplish a trade for a high draft pick?

As far as re-signing him goes, I'm saying Johnson is under contract for 4 more years at barely over $2M/year on average. OK? The franchise tag this year is $6.62M. Johnson + White = elite backfield. Paying White around $4M/year to keep him is worth it. How much is San Diego going to have wrapped into LT/Sproles?

A lot of posters would have been willing to pay Derrick Ward this kind of contract, and whereas he would have been a good replacement for LW...feh...if it ain't broke, why fix it? I think LW has more upside. 25 or so vs. 29 and less injured, better TD average? Tell me how he's not worth it. And I'm not buying the lazy, don't care, wants starter $, as long as he continues to show up in better shape and more dedicated year after year. Say what you will (in general, to anyone reading), but you can't tell me LenDale hasn't put one foot forward each year he's been here. Sure, say the yardage production went down, but that was by design.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

1) I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

2) We could probably agree that LenDale is better defined as a (key) role player versus a simple backup player. A player doesn't have to be a starter (like Fuller, Tulloch, Bironas) to be an important player to the team. LenDale's job is to protect a more dynamic player, spell carries, get tough yards, produce points...

Also, I'm not sure how the team will address Keith or Kyle upcoming. They could draft one of their replacements next month. (Unlikely, but) there may not be a cap next year. The team may unload Young, or Collins, and if they do make a dramatic change at QB, do you really want to fiddle with your RB chemistry at the same time? My Magic 8 Ball sez "Wait & See."

3) I wouldn't assume that, or take production that has been lacking in recent years past for granted, either.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think White likes Championships, too. I'm guessing, but I think this was the one team he didn't mind coming to in the second round. Sure, he'd have been grateful to be drafted by anyone, but being drafted by Fisher -- a USC guy -- and Chow was here, and he couldn't argue with being drafted behind Vince. Let's get real...LenDale is Vince's soldier. I'm sure as VY's situation has changed, LenDale is real about the possibilities for Vince's dismissal, and I don't believe that even without Vince LenDale would want to go elsewhere. I think Johnson is filling that role of camraderie and "ride or die" that LW once shared with Vince when both were starters. If it's easier for LenDale to stay here and take less than starter money, as long as it's fair for his role, I think he'd do it. Probably depends on how "business" goes this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar