Batman (1966)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanbuoy, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I'm glad I'm not the only one with fond memories of this series/movie. I was born in 1965 so my actual memories of watching the show are also from when it was in syndication in the early/mid seventies.

Didn't Eartha Kitt play Catwoman too at some point?

There were also a bunch of odd celebrity cameos throughout the series short run. I can't recall too many of them, but I do remember Sammy Davis Jr.

I didn't realize the series had yet to be released on DVD. As I was watching the movie I was thinking that I've really got to buy the series on disk. I'll have to go check Amazon to see if it's slated for release.

One of my fave Batman lines (said by the caped crusader himself)

"I'm just going to hang around the bar. I don't want to look conspicuous."

Edit: Just looked up some other notables who appered on the series

Julie Newmar ... Catwoman (14 episodes, 1966-1968) (the Catwoman most remember)
    [​IMG]
    Vincent Price ... Egghead (8 episodes, 1966-1968)
    Cliff Robertson ... Shame (4 episodes, 1966-1968)
    Rudy Vallee ... Lord Marmaduke Ffogg (3 episodes, 1967)
    Eartha Kitt ... Catwoman #2 (3 episodes, 1967-1968)
    James Brolin ... Kid Gulliver / ... (3 episodes, 1966-1967)
    Milton Berle ... Louie the Lilac / ... (3 episodes, 1966-1968)
    Bruce Lee ... Kato (3 episodes, 1966-1967)
    Art Carney ... The Archer (2 episodes, 1966)
    Liberace ... Chandell / ... (2 episodes, 1966)
    Roddy McDowall ... The Bookworm (2 episodes, 1966)
    Otto Preminger ... Mr. Freeze (2 episodes, 1966)
    George Sanders ... Mr. Freeze / ... (2 episodes, 1966)
    Shelley Winters ... Ma Parker (2 episodes, 1966)
    Tallulah Bankhead ... Black Widow (2 episodes, 1967)
    Eli Wallach ... Mr. Freeze (2 episodes, 1967)
    Joan Collins ... The Siren (2 episodes, 1967)
    Jill St. John ... Molly (2 episodes, 1966)
    Marie Windsor ... Nellie Majors (2 episodes, 1966) (film noir femme fatale)
    Seymour Cassel ... Cancelled (2 episodes, 1967)
    Zsa Zsa Gabor ... Minerva (2 episodes, 1968)

Cameos:
    Steve Allen
    Teri Garr
    Gypsy Rose Lee
    Jerry Mathers (the Beaver)
    Rob Reiner

No Sammy Davis Jr. hmmmm...

2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I just looked up what's going on with the DVD release and it looks like a bad situation. It's a dicey release to begin with since Fox owns the rights to the series and Warner currently owns the rights to the Batman character. Apparently those negotiations were pretty much going nowhere to begin with, when a new problem cropped up to further muddy the waters. William Dozier's estate is now suing both to block release of the DVD until they are ensured that they get their slice of the pie (Dozier was one of the show's original producers as well being the shows memorable narrator).

Holy lawyers fees Batman!

3. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

There are however TV airings, taped, and circulated...

4. I used to watch the reruns all the time as a kid. Loved it. But boy it was campy...

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Yeah, that about sums up what I found out a year or two ago when I was looking for the series. I didn't know about the Dozier bit, though. Looks like Slack's approach may be our best bet.

I wonder if Warner doesn't want the series released at all considering how starkly different it is than the current Batman they are producing. That would make sense to me, because on the other hand anyone could see how much money they are leaving sitting on the table, even split 3 ways.

6. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I watched this show EVERY day after school at my grandparents' house. My grandfather would pick me (with my Batman backpack!) up from elementary school (kindergarten-3rd grade) and he would mix up some biscuits and molasses for me... Memories are awesome. They mean so much more since my grandfather died of cancer in '95. "na na na na na na BATMAN!" :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar