bcs mess

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fry, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

What about Texas though? I could argue that they had a more difficult schedule than Alabama. So they should get in. Also, they beat Oklahoma.

And Utah, undefeated season and has been a power for several seasons. So why leave them out?

Regardless, this proved my point. A sloppy 8-team playoff creates controversy just like the BCS. A sloppy 8-team playoff "MIGHT" get us closer to a true national champion, but it doesn't guarantee it by any stretch. And personally, I just don't want to see a controversial playoff. And, I believe there is a correct way to do it, just need to start at the right steps, which is fixing the conference system first.

Also, for all BCS-haters... Out of the 10 prior seasons, which season do you find that the "REAL" national champion didn't win the BCS championship? My biggest complaint, is the year Auburn went undefeated along with OU/USC. Any year that there are three major undefeated teams, it won't work. But any other season, I don't have a problem, and I believe the "True" national champion won the BCS championship game, including the year LSU/USC split the title which was bull****. It shoulda been LSU straight up for winning the BCS.

And yeah, the champions were decided on the field. Throughout the season, allowing the best team to get to a title game.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i'd say there were two seasons i was completely satisfied; when ohio state and miami were undefeated and when texas and usc were undefeated.

that's the only time the bcs works, when there are two major bcs schools undefeated.

remember nebraska getting in after colorado beat them by 26 points and miami killed them by 23 in the "title" game?(colorado finished third in the bcs)

3. Alex1939

I remember. I also remember Colorado had two losses that season. Also Oregon had one loss. Again, you want to win in the BCS go undefeated...

Just like MIAMI did. The true national champion. Thankfully the BCS provided a championship game for Miami against a top opponent, and showed Miami to be the real champion.

The BCS worked. People may not like the system, but it provided a championship game and the clear national champion was decided in the Rose Bowl.

4. Fry

but who is to say nebraska was the second best team in the nation? miami played an inferior opponent in a title game because they were chosen by polls, not on the field.

how did nebraska deserve to go after a 26 point defeat to a 2 loss team while oregon got to watch the game?

nebraska didn't even win their conference that year!

5. Fry

yeah, that's happened twice in ten years.... i guess 20 percent of the time ain't too bad.

oh yeah, and there ARE two undefeated top 10 teams this year, but they're not playing in the title game....

:rolleyes:

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

The only problem with that is the big 12 tie breaker was decided based on the BCS. So if Oklahoma is declared the Big 12 south winner because they jumped Texas in the BCS polls, then why should Texas and Texas Tech be decided head to head?

7. Fry

i agree, trust me. that was the whole point of this thread. thankfully the big 12 is looking to change the tie breaker rules after this season.

8. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I've seen a few posts here from people who support the BCS well here's my response to them.

Imagine if the NFL used the BCS format. The Superbowl is the Titans/Giants (yea I would like that too but just bare with me) and in a few other games the Jets play the Buccaneers, Colts play the Cardinals etc... no other teams get a chance to play for the championship even if one is undefeated and another only has 1 loss.

My answer would be a 10 team playoff. There's not a big difference between the #8 team (Penn State) and the #10 team (OSU), I mean they played a very close game and it's pretty much true for every year. Plus I think if you add two more teams it allows for a first round bye for the #1 and #2 team which is more incentive to be a top team IMO. And no conference gets an automatic bid (ACC and Big East are just garbage) and there's no limit to the amount of teams that can play. The fact that Texas Tech is probably going to get shut out of the BCS is a joke. But that's what I would do, and if you worry about money they just have each game sponsored.

Example: USC vs. Utah (in LA) sponsored by FedEx.

Sports would be run so much easier if I ran it. Everything would be so much simpler.

9. Alex1939

It's cool that you disagree with me. Please quit exaggerating at best, or at worst just making up false stats.

7 BCS Championships resulted in an undefeated winner. That's 70% of the time, not too bad. Oh, and 1 other championship featured an undefeated Ohio State team that got beaten badly by Florida.

LOL, there are two top 10 teams this year, but you would leave them out of an 8 team playoff! That's my point... a playoff doesn't solve the Bcs's "fairness" problem.

10. Alex1939

What if the NFL took your suggestion.

Let's take a 10 team poll, using sports writers, coaches, and computers... and select the top 10 in the NFL for playoffs. Regardless of division, conference, etc....

That doesn't sound nearly as good as what we have now.

The BCS isn't the best system for college football. I just want a more balanced college season, and to fix the conferences (notre dame into big10, championship games for every conference) before putting a true playoff system in place.

Another suggestion, going to a system like that, is to remove divisions within conferences....

Only one of three Big12 teams: Texas, Oklahoma, or TEXAS TECH; would get left out of the championship game in that scenario. Couldn't be entirely fair anyway you put it, but that would be better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar