BCS Race is exciting

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alex1939, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

this is the way i look at it; if the bcs was never made and we had a playoff, would people be saying, "you know, this playoff thing isn't working. we need some type of system where a few computers tally up some points and then the two teams with the most points will play for the title.....yeah, that's it!"

the answer is no.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

The thing about a playoff that would piss me off is would it ever become fair? With 100+ teams competing could a playoff ever be created that would be without controversy?

I certainly think so because I posted how to do it here...
    http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=31900&page=4

But I don't think the NCAA would ever be smart enough to do it that way. I'm sure they, and many people, would think my plan is stupid... which is cool too.

The thing is.... We don't have a playoff system. At least WE HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, 10 years ago college didnt even have that.

So rather than all of us sit around and ***** so much about the BCS, let's enjoy what is really an incredibly exciting college football system and race to the championship game. Hate it or not... it's still pretty damn entertaining.

I know if there were a 16 team playoff, I would've never even flipped the TV over to Kansas yesterday.

So the BCS if flawed of course. But hey, it's a damn big improvement from pre-BCS college football. So let's enjoy what we got while we got it. Basically, if you can't love the one you want, then love the one your with. or something like that.

Then if we ever get a playoff system we can all go back to *****ing about how dumb the playoff selection is and why the hell NCAA did it that way.

3. Fry

just because it's entertaining doesn't mean it works....

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

The only 2 times it has really failed badly, in my view, were when they gave USC a split of the title and the year the Auburn went undefeated and didn't even get a piece of the championship.

IMO, if they are going to award USC with a half a title in a year that they didn't earn there way into the Title game, then they sure as hell should've awarded Auburn half a title for going undefeated with a tough schedule.

You either go undefeated, or you don't deserve to be GUARANTEED to be in the title game. And most years I've been happy with the 2 teams playing in the championship game, and felt they were the deserving teams.

But you know, every 10 years or so it will come up where 3 teams from the major conferences go undefeated. And that is the flaw that can never be fixed.

5. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

BigTitan. I am curious about something. You claim to be an OSU fan right? Well... Why haven't you seemed like you were p.o'd over the loss to Illinois? I done broke everything in the house..

6. Fry

i wasn't really all that shocked about it to be honest. i didn't watch the game, see any highlights, or see the stat sheet, but i can tell you exactly what illinois did; they spread us out and ran with juice williams. it was the same exact thing that UF did last year in the title game. we just didn't match up well with them.

7. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

Well what are your thoughts on next season? We should definitely be ranked in the 1-3 range for next year... And what are your thoughts on Chris Wells? Heisman next year?

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO there is one way to keep the excitement we have now while still being able to have a legit playoff.

Take the LSU Arkansas game as an example. The game means abosolutely nothing as far as LSU going to the SEC championship. LSU has to win however if they wat to stay in the National Championship picture. Going with some system that anoints conference champions would remove teams like LSU having to win down the stretch.

The best system IMO is to use the BCS polls just like they are used now and select the top 4 or 8 teams. Then playoff with those teams. Teams would still have to win out even if they have their division championships in hand just to make sure they don't drop out of the top 4 or 8.

Teams that have to play conference championship games have both an advantage and disadvantage. Teams winning those games (and the vast number of times the team needs to win to make the top 4 or 8) have the added "big" win on their resume and helps them possibly leap frog idle teams like Ohio State who don't play in a conference championship game.

Right now taking the top 4 would be easy to do, could be used as part of the bowl process and at least remove any doubt about who the champion would be. Add in that the bowl games involving teams 3 and 4 or potentially 5,6,7 and 8 would actually mean something instead of being glorified exhibition games.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

:lol2:

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I like. Make it so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar