Bell Currently Leading Candidate for Right Tackle Position

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'm sorry Gut I didn't read your expert scouting service blurb on Gilles. I did read the NFL.com GM JR Scouting breakdown where they rate a number of different postional factors and attributes.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/jean-gilles_max

For intial quickness the comment was "He gets off the ball and set to block consistently fast" so apparently they don't agree with your scouting service. Infact his initial quickness grade is as high as his other highest grade for size (6.5 is . I guess wanting to have an OG who is massive and quick who could potentially dominate is too much to ask. Having another mediocre safety that nobody heard about until draft day however is priceless. The negatives on Gilles are that he does need to control his weight and that he isn't motivated at times however we are talking about a player who could have been taken late in the 3rd round, not a 1st or 2nd round pick. IMHO Gilles had a higher upaide than Pillar and would have been at least as good as Pillar. Of course we can all be comforted by the fact that after the middle of our OL gets blown up and we have to punt on 4th down we will have a guy like Lowry on the punt team.

Oh, Scott Wright ranked Gilles as the number 2 OG in the draft and wrote "Has the ability to be a dominant blocker at the pro level, especially if the team who brings him in can maximize his effort on every play." I'm not saying Gilles is the greatest OG in NFL history but certainly he had the tools for the coaches to work with and could have been a potential upgrade to our OL.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Every so sorry. Should have said Pillar has all the tools to be a real roadgrader at LG ect...

Yes I agree the big guy lacks foot speed.

3. smili

smili Starter

great article and great comments on this thread.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sox...

Let me set you straight...

First, if you read all of GM Jr.'s assessment (as I have) his final grade on Gilles was a 4th rd pick (translates to a good backup/special teams player). In his description of Gilles he does quantify his 'speed' assessment as being fast for a 360lb guy. But that's NOT fast in the NFL. He thinks he'll be a starter...but won't live up to his potential as players with weight problems in college tend to carry that into the NFL too. In addition to GM Jr., I check out a variety of sites and draft gurus and draftnik friends of mine for my assessments on players I haven't seen much of. But I HAVE seen a lot of Gilles. My best friend (a squealers fan) is a huge Bulldogs fan so we catch a lot of their games.

But the most important point is that I wasn't defending what the Titans did, I was explaining why they didn't take him. When you come out and say you want your OL to lose weight so they can be fast and quick, it's not a shock that they passed on a 360lb guy who can't control his weight.

Personally, I would have taken a flyer on Gilles and a few other players over the S they drafted. But for several years now I feel Floyd has messed up one or more picks in the the top 4 rounds.

Now I wasn't in love with Gilles, but they certainly could have nabbed him without him costing too much! As you know, I've been calling for them to draft some quality OL players for several years and I think we still have work to do!

Gut

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I see we agree then about how we should have "taken a flyer on Gilles and a few other players".

The rating on Giles was a 4th rounder but the service is very harsh in their ratings. Lendale White is a 3rd rounder according to them and Lowry is an UDFA. Getting a rating as a starter is darn good IMO based on how they rated most players.

Spencer, another OG who was rated close to Giles and went to Houston with the first pick in the 3rd round is rated 6.0 on initial quickness where Giles was rated 6.5. Davin Joseph, the OG taken in the first round also only had a 6.0 rating for initial quickness. Your comments about Giles having a slow first step were simply inaccurate.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

read...

As I mentioned above, GM Jr. QUANTIFIES his rating. He's fast and quick for a 360lb guy, but he's NOT fast compared to a quick 300lb guy. I notice he does this a lot and personalizes some of the ratings.

If you look at his quickness ratings for some WR's and some CB's and then compare those ratings to their actual workouts (10 yard times), you'll notice they don't always compare accurately. If you also read his descriptions he has some conflicting info in his own ratings on the same player.

To prove my point, take a look at Gilles' 10 yard dash times and tell me how quick he is. The 10 yard dash is our best way to measure a player's initial burst since it's only a few strides.

Hopefully this will help you understand the ratings better. And while a player may be quick in college, few 360lb OG's become Pro Bowl caliber players. Unless Gilles drops to 330 or so and maintains that, he will probably have difficulties.

And as I mentioned, my assessment of Gilles is based mostly on me watching him in several games and seeing his workout/combine numbers. If GM Jr. disagrees with me...no problem. If you want to call me wrong because one of the draft 'gurus' disagrees with me, no problem. They are not infallible (and neither am I).

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar