Ben Roethlisberger

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by DeutschTitan, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Even Trent Dilfer had better Super Bowl stats than Roethlisberger. Has any winning quarterback ever done worse than 9 of 21 for 123 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT?

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Titans2008,

I never said Big Ben was worse than Tommy, but their passing stats were at the bottom of the league. Therefore, they didn't need a QB to dominate, they only needed an awesome run offense and excellent D. That is the point. Without those 2 things, Big Ben would not have near the success nor the Steelers...which is what we'd be in uif we draft a franchise QB at #3. Our D was in the bottom 3rd and our rush attack was not good.

This translates into a multi-year rebuilding project and that's IF everything works out (D becomes a top 10 D, OL is rebuilt satisfactorily, and the QB isn't a bust).

Hopefully, that gives you an inkling of the risk we're taking and the time it'll take to get back.

Gut

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

No, their passing yards were at the bottom. Not their passing stats. That is probably the result of a new coordinator, an improved defense (not playing from behind), and an improved running attack along with having a rookie qb.

You are speaking facts like "without a great D and great running game, roethlisberger would have struggled", but that's not necessarily true. He has shown on many occasions in his career that he is capable of dropping back 30+ times and winning a game by himself. Definately, they helped them be 15-1, but I'm not going to agree that they wouldn't have been a playoff team with the 25th ranked running game.

I definately agree (as does anyone else who watches football) that defense and running game is the way to build dynasties.

4. BigRob

BigRob Guest

Funny thing is that he still made plays that helped his team win. Remember the third down conversion that put the ball on the 1 yard line in the first half? Remember the third down conversion shovel pass? Plus, he's 23 in his second year in the pros in the SUPER BOWL!. Trent Dilfer was in his fifth or sixth year when the Ravens won. Had a better runnning back and a better defense.

5. Broken Record

Just the fact that we're talking about him in comparison to Trent Dilfer is telling.

6. BigRob

BigRob Guest

Just the fact you cannot stand that Big Ben is already one of the top QB's in the league, youngest QB to win a SB and will end up in the hall of fame if his career continues along the same path it is currently on shows you are just a Big Ben hater (Probably a closet Bengals fan).

How hard is it to understand that Cowher was considered a flawed coach before Roethlisberger came to town and now he is considered a hall of fame coach? Couldn't win the big one before Big Ben came to town.

7. Broken Record

Ooooh, I touched a nerve! A closet Bengal fan... right. I don't hate Roethlisberger. I just don't think he's the second coming.

How hard is it to understand that the closest statistical comparison by a winning Super Bowl quarterback to Roethlisberger is Trent Dilfer? How hard is it to understand that even when putting his biggest game numbers up against Dilfer's he doesn't come out on top? How hard is it to understand that Dilfer is widely considered the least effective Super Bowl winning quarterback? The weak link on the team.

The Steelers won the Super Bowl more in spite of "Big Ben" than because of him. Zero touchdowns and 2 picks isn't going to cut it without a superb defense.

8. BigRob

BigRob Guest

I'll more than give you that Big Ben had a horrible Super bowl, but he did make two or three key plays that resulted in the Steelers getting the lead. The 3 and 20 conversion. Also, he did have a TD, he ran for one. You also fail to mention that the Steelers would not have been in the Super Bowl as a 6 seed if not for Big Ben's play in the playoffs.

You also fail to realize that Big Ben missed four games this year and his stats would have looked much better if not for that.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VmoESVQ0fPM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VmoESVQ0fPM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

10. Broken Record

So what do you think goes through coaches minds when game planning for the Steelers? The first thing is probably, "how am I going to keep from being in 3rd and 12 all day long against that D?" next is probably, "how do I neutralize that OLine and slow down the running game?" then maybe after that you worry about Roethlisberger eating you up. He is not the strength of the team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar