Bennett and Wade

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TITANZFN09, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

But the assumption there is that Brandon Jones the X receiver is no different than Brandon Jones the Z receiver, which isn't at all true. This isn't a neighborhood pickup game... the routes they run and the order they have in the progression affect things dramatically. When you have highly paid #1 and #2 receivers that combine for 1200 yards and 5 TDs, then you replace them. You can't do any worse than that, and based on what they've seen on the field and in practice the Titans are betting they'll do much better.

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I actually kinda like Bennett, but he just isn't a #1 WR, and we didn't need a high-priced #2 or #3. That's why we let him go. Vince didn't help last year, but Bennett struggled the past 2 seasons... so it's not all Vince. His best season by far was 2004 when Volek was playing. Without that 1 season we wouldn't even be having this discussion, probably.

3. Young54

Young54 Starter

man...i remember that year! i picked up Volek and Bennett for the last couple weeks of my fantasy league. i think it was 3 games in a row where Volek would just hit Bennett on the fade for TDs. I was actually excited thinking that Volek was going to be our starting QB last season. Him and Bennett just hit it off!

He struggled the past 2 seasons??? Ill take 700+ yards and 4 and 3 TDs form a #2 receiver…especially when last season he had Young at QB

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

except he was our #1....

5. Young54

Young54 Starter

^^your right. he was our #1 in 05 but in 06 he was *supposed to be* our #2 but Givens went down so he had to step up. the last time he played out the season as our #2 he had 1200+ yards and 11 TDs.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

100 yard games by bennett in 2004:
    san diego(31st pass d) 9 receptions 109 yards 0 tds
    chicago(15th pass d) 6 148 1
    indy(28th pass d) 3 124 3
    kansas city(32nd pass d) 12 233 3
    oakland(30th pass d) 13 160 2

5 game total 43 receptions 774 yards 9 tds

other 11 game total 37 receptions 473 yards 2 tds

call me when he can beat some good defenses.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Bennett was an athletic QB turned into a receiver. He was never better than a #2 WR- and IMO that was even a stretch. He was really only good on the deep out pattern- he dropped several square and post routes that hit him in the chest or hands. You can't blaim a ball that is touched and not caught on the QB.

We will be fine with what we have got. Keeping Bennett would have been a 30 million dollar mistake. (well OK- really 7-10 million I forget his "up-front" money)

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Drew was "robbed" of a few catches last year also that would have upped his totals. One long pass he never bobbled, but was ruled incomplete. Another pass in the Jags game where the referee marked forward progress, but the defender drove him backwards and planted him, and he lost the ball. I can only remember one drastic drop, and that was when he was wide open in the Houston game and Vince severely underthrew him, and he had to come back for the ball, and tried to catch it falling backwards. Most forget the TD catch he made against the Colts in TRIPLE coverage. Yes, he is not a #1, and was never intended to be, but if we had a true #1, think how many more catches he might have gotten. Most people get it in their head a guy is bad, and nothing will change their minds, even stats. We were the 32nd ranked defense last year, so does that mean we don't have any decent cornerbacks or safeties that cover? This is the NFL, and even the lower ranked D's are still full of talent. The ball still has to be caught also. Make up any excuses you want, but Bennett will be missed.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

You know you're a Bennett homer when you say things like "
    " :ha:

Yeah, he's worth 30 mil. And Vick's worth 100 mil. No one in the NFL is overpaid.

10. Young54

Young54 Starter

i'll take him as a #2 over any other player on our roster and that includes B.Jones. not only was he a solid receiver, but he was smart. He used to be a QB and was great at reading defenses. I liked him as a receiver but he will be missed for more than that. he was practically like a coach on the field and was a great teacher for our young receivers. he would have been very beneficial to our team had we kept him. I rather have our receiver learn form him than gage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar