Bennett and Wade

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TITANZFN09, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

There isn't a receiver in the NFL that doesn't have drops, including TO (and some where downright easy). When I used the word drastic, I meant that was one I thought he should have caught, even if it wasn't on target. And which players are you a homer with....or don't you like any of them?

2. TouchDown29

TouchDown29 Guest

I'm still mad at Drew for dropping the ball in New England that probably kept us from winning the superbowl. I'm also still mad at Wade for dropping the TD pass in Indy that would have won the game for us and eventually propelled us to another superbowl victory behind the wheels of VY. Nahh I'm just kidding but seriously I hope one day we can develop a WR into a real #1. You cant deny Drew as a solid #2 however as a #1 he didnt always fare too well against good defenses. As for Wade, I would say given the opportunity Gauge could step in and match is contributions. I know theyve said B Jones has had a questionable offseason but you have to expect him to step it up and be the #1. Baring injury I think our line up will read like this....#1 Brandon Jones #2 Justin Gauge #3 Roydell Williams

3. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Their playbook knowledge will be missed surely, but as long as the WRs we have now can block downfield for VY and whoever emerges at RB I'm sure we'll be fine without them. I'm really hoping that VY and the WRs found some chemistry when they were in Houston

4. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Well Bennett is the white version of Jerry Rice, so idk what youre thinkin

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Sure there isn't....but just so you know, there were many more passes than that one that he flat out dropped. This is a wore out topic though, I probably should give it a rest :dead:

Oh boy, with the deflection of your last point, I bet you're dying to roast Bulluck some more.

6. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Kinda', sorta' my point. Our WR corps has sucked over the last few years. It does worry me to think that our young receivers were not capable of de-throning Bennett.

7. Nine

Nine Starter

Call me crazy, but I believe there's validity to both sides of the argument.

I wanted to keep Drew, but not for the kind of money the Rams gave him. He clearly has value, but he's also maddeningly inconsistent....he could have 6 catches for 115 yards one week, then follow it up with 6 catches for the next three games combined.

That said, I do think he'll flourish in St. Louis.....much moreso than if he'd stayed in Tennessee. With Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce on the field, Drew will rarely face top defenders; he'll see a lot of single coverage against safeties and nickels.....a matchup he'll win 9 times out of 10. Plus, he'll have one of the most accurate passers in the NFL in Marc Bulger....like Billy Volek on steroids. If Drew can catch the ball consistently, he could end up being one of the top FA acquisitions of this offseason.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Thanks for making my point. We basically traded Bennett as our #2 for a guy who couldn't even get on the field as a water boy with the Bears.

9. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

This isn't my argument, but as for Gage not playing for the Bears, I think that's what the Bears said about Wade and the guy turned out to be one hell of a WR for us.
    Looking back through the years, the Rams traded Bettis to Pittsburgh because they thought he could never make it in the NFL. Ones teams trash is another teams Canton treasure. I'm not saying that this is true with all players and all teams. It depends on the chemistry of the player and the teams chemistry as to where they can flourish.

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

... and Gage had pretty similar numbers as Wade for the 2 years they played together in CHI. Wade had more catches, but Gage had a much higher YPA. Gage is also much bigger than Wade - probably a good fit for how we'll use him.

I'm not thinking that all of a sudden we have the best WRs around, but for a team that plays a lot of 2 TE sets I still maintain that we haven't lost any ground in the WR department. Essentially swapped Jones for Bennett and Gage for Wade. Would I have like to have had all 4 of them? Of course, but I think we're all ready to see if these young guys can make the leap. FWIW, I think Roydell might outdo Jones this year, but the assumption is that Jones is the #1 until we see otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar