Bennett and Wade

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TITANZFN09, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I hate how everyone acts like Marvin and Reggie are great because of Manning. Hell, give Rex Grossman 30 seconds to find 1 of 4 open receivers and I bet he'd look like a hall of famer too.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Swapped Jones for Bennett, what the heck does that mean? Try swapping Gage for Bennett and whoever for Wade. That is the net affect. Sure there is always a chance Gage could by some miracle start playing at the same level as Bennett but it would take a miracle. Gage couldn't carry Bennett's jock right now. Only super homers can dream that big. The best thing Gage has going for him is a 40 inch vertical but even at 6'4 and a 40 inch vertical he doesn't play that big. He might be better suited on the basketball court.

Also, Bobby Wade had a 42 catch and almost 500 yard season for the Bears in 2004. He fell out of favor because he was dropping punts (fumbled 9 times on special teams in one year, 3 in one game) but as a WR the Bears were stupid to let him go. Wade put up almost 1400 yards his last season at Arizona.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

*sigh* I'll try to simplify this for you: Top 2 receivers last year were Bennett and Wade, who left. By all accounts, Jones is poised to take Bennett's place as the #1. I'll pause for a few minutes to let you ponder that complex statement...

Ok, ready? Good. Now on to Gage. Are you sure you're ready? I don't want to go too quickly and lose you again.

In 2003 & 2004, Wade had 54 catches for 618 yds (11.4 avg) and 0 TDs. In those same years (in the same system with the same QBs), Gage had 29 catches for 494 yds (17.0 avg) and 2 TDs. To me, those stats scream pretty much equal - Wade had more catches and yards, but Gage made much more of the catches he got. If anything, I'd maybe lean toward Gage there.

Shew, we made it. And now for the kicker - I don't think Gage (even if he plays at the same level as Wade last year) will be our #2 receiver. Roydell will beat him out, and may challenge Jones for #1 - he's faster and more physical.

So if Jones is our #1 and at least matches Bennett's performance, and Gage is our #2 or #3 and matches Wade's performance, then PRESTO! Jones replaces Bennett, and Gage replaces Wade. That leaves Roydell or Orr or Roby or Davis or whoever you like to put up what Jones did last year (27 catches for 384 yds and 4 TDs). Again, Jones being late in the read progression of a rookie QB, coming off an ACL had a down year. One of our other WRs should match those numbers.

say huh? You're speaking nonsense. No one is suggesting that Gage will replace like Bennett. Well, no one other than you. You like to make ridiculous statements and then refute them yourself. Don't you know that no one who argues with himself wins?

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Let me talk real slow for you to understand. I would rather have Bennett AND Jones AND Wade. I don't disagree with your analysis as far as saying we MIGHT be as good as last year. Jones started 10 games last year and averaged about 50 yards per game. Bennett had almost exactly the same numbers per game started. What I am talking about is who else is going to step in and average 50 yards per game as our #2 (that is not super impressive but for right now its a start)? The onjective is to get BETTER.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Thanks... although if you talked faster you would have had time to read the initial point of this whole discussion:

Most of the commentator's talk this offseason has been how the Titans lost all their offensive weapons and have taken a step back. I think most of us would like Bennett, Jones and Wade - but looking at the WR outlook, it doesn't really apppear we have lost much.

Exactly, and since we kinda knew what we were getting from Bennett, which was a good but not great receiver, many of us were ready to give the 3 younger guys a shot for that very reason. Williams, Jones or Roby could be flops or could be great. The 3rd or 4th year is when young WRs tend to either sink or swim, so it's time to see what they've got.

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Any reports on Givens? No one seems to be mentioning him in this discussion. If he makes it back it would solve some problems.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

givens will be lucky to ever play again. broken femer and a torn acl is bad news.

8. OneYardShort

OneYardShort Camp Fodder

Is that news legit? I really hate to miss Givens. He seems like a great guy, and if he ever gets to play, he is a top 20 WR. I knew bout the ACL, but I didn't hear about the broken femur. That is a serious injury, and if so I hope it wasn't a complete or compound break. I actually heard that LP was in such bad condition, that it was most likely the reason for his injury. I really did think it was sorry when we basically painted dirt green in between the hash marks, and called it a field, but I would also assume that the turf wasn't in too good condition either.

9. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Bennett was never a #1 reciever. A good #2, but could not play against the other teams #1 defender. He was also inconsistant, sometimes hot, sometimes cold. When McNair was QB, some say he was out of favor with McNair and that McNair held him back a little bit. Who knows what would have happened if McNair had looked harder for Bennett.
    The fact is, the FO was failed to find a replacement for D. Mason. We spent a lot of draft picks several years ago and did not come up with a good enough WR. As our #1, no one on our roster for the last 3 years could carry the undisputed title of #1 WR. We settled with a group of #2 WRs and let them jockey back and forth.
    This is not the mind set of a Super Bowl team.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

"Givens suffered a torn left ACL last season, but he also broke the femur, which needed to be repaired with bone plugs, and also suffered a torn meniscus. Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said last month he was hopeful Givens might be back for the start of the season."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070510/SPORTS01/70510028

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar