Bennett and Wade

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TITANZFN09, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

MJ's stats..

Any WR stats that have tory holt rated 38th have to be total bullcrap as far as i'm concerned. Football outsiders use a formula that favors #2 and #3 WRs who get less attention in coverage. Why else would housh be rated ahead of chad johnson? I'm sure the bengals know johnson is the superior player but football outsiders don't.

Football outsiders measure outcomes regardless of circumstance and total productivity is ignored.

As for brandon jones replacing bennett's productivity it is not a reach but jones hasn't been real durable and how will he fare against the #1 corner and much more attention from defenses?

2. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Both were medicore - end of conversation.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

MJ's stats part deux..

Since the subject here is largely drew bennett let's see how football outsiders has interpreted his career.

In 03 when bennett had 504 yards and 4 tds he was rated 11th by football outsiders formula.

In 04 when bennett had over 1200 yrds and 11tds he was ranked 21st.

In 05 bennett had 700 yards with 4tds, his ranking was 69th!

In 06 bennett has a fair year with 700+ yards and a 16 yard average. His rating by football outsiders? 56th!

11th, 21st, 69th, 56th Note we are talking about the same guy!

See the problem?

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The rolltide way..

Bennett was 46th in pass recepts among WRs.

Bennett was 39th in rec yards among WRs.

46+39=85

85/2 = an average ranking of 42.5 in those categories.

There you go bennett was the 42nd best WR in football.

My ranking is superior to the outsiders..

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I agree, sort of. But this isn't meant to rank WRs. "This number represents value, per play, over an average WR in the same game situations." It's meant to give a best guess at how receiver A might do if placed in similar situation as receiver B. You can always find abnormalities in a stat, like TJ and CJ, but looking at it overall from top to bottom - it is pretty close. No way can anyone know how a #2 will handle making the leap to the #1 slot. But most people look at total yards for a receiver, and act like that is the end-all stat. Which is pretty much what started this thread.

Right, but that was the point. Most people who have watched Bennett and Jones wouldn't say it's a stretch that Jones could replace Drew. One of the only stats out there that tries to predict it seems to agree with the generally agreed opinion.

6. MJTitans

Yea, I'm bored with this now..

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What is the situation?

Put bennett in as the #2 for the bengals, rams or the colts and i bet his ranking is much higher. Bennett had the high 11th ranking in 03 because he had 27 first downs in just 32 catches. He might do that again on the rams. No way any #1 WR can get a 84% first down rate so it is not fair..

8. MJTitans

yawn... fine use another stat. Find one that tells me losing Bennett is like losing Torry Holt. I'll check back to see how you fared.

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

This thread is pointless. Unless Vince suddenly learns to throw like Manning, WR's here are not going to put up numbers. A receiver is only as good as his QB. When Volek was here Bennett could light it up. McNair could only throw dinks and dunks to Mason.....12 yard curl route, throw at the knees..repeat.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The problem is some posters are making a huge deal about Jones replacing Bennett's stats and I'm not sure anyone here with a brain would disagree that it is very much within reason that Jones can. The real issue is Bennett is as good as Jones, very capable with quality QB play of putting up 1000 yards. Instead of having two 1000 yard WRs on this team we let two of our better WRs go (oh yawn MJ, didn't Wade show up better than the others in the value, per play, over an average WR in the same game situations?).
    If Givens was healthy we would be in decent shape but Givens isn't. Keep in mind if we had kept Bennett we wouldn't be using half of our draft (3 PICKS!) and the signing of Gage (and we are not done yet) to try and replace these guys who "easy to replace".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar