Best DL Fisher's ever had?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, May 1, 2010.

?

Who da best? Public Poll.

Poll closed May 11, 2010.
  1. Albert "SMASH" Haynesworth

34.7%
  2. Jevon "FREAK" Kearse

61.1%
  3. Other (who?)

4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That comment makes absolutely no sense based on the facts. Kearse didn't have a significant injury until his 4th season and his most dominant year was when he was a rookie.

2. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

OK, I'll make a case for not one, but two other players.

Fisher had Reggie White for two years. The Minister of Defense was elected to 13 Pro Bowls, had 8 first-team All-Pro selections and was a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Fisher's second-best d-lineman may have been Jerome Brown (2 Pro Bowls, 2 first-team All-Pro selections), who was tragically killed in an accident following his consecutive All-Pro and Pro Bowl seasons. He was a great player who died just as he was entering his prime. No telling how much greater he could have been had he lived but in his time he was just as good as, if not better than, Kearse, Albert or Carter. Those of you old enough to remember JB know how good he was.

Here's a comparison of honoraria:

White - 13 Pro Bowls, 8 first-team All-Pro selections, Pro Football Hall of Fame
    Brown - 2 Pro Bowls, 2 first-team All-Pro selections
    Kearse - 3 Pro Bowls, 1 first-team All-Pro selection
    Albert - 2 Pro Bowls, 2 first-team All-Pro selections
    Carter - 2 Pro Bowls, 1 first-team All-Pro selection

Fisher also coached Clyde Simmons, who went on to have 2 Pro Bowls and 2 first-team All-Pro selections. You could include him in the conversation, although I don't regard him as any better than Kearse, Albert or Carter.

It's a shame that Reggie White needs someone to make a case for him. As far as I'm concerned, he was the best DL Fisher ever had.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

^Who whoa whoa. Wait a minute. I was under the impression this thread was talking about the Titans, and not the Eagles in the 80's. If that's the case then great post A.D.

4. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Well, the title of the thread asks who was Fisher's best DL, not who was the Titans' best DL. However, I have enjoyed the intelligent discussion by psychop and Gut concerning the merits of Kearse and Fat Albert.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

^Reading between the lines a little. Good one. I guess you're right tho. It's by far Reggie White then.

6. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Kearse's 1999 season was epic. 8 forced fumbles, That's unheard of. The Fred Miller game. The opposing QB had #90 in his head every time he dropped back in the pocket. The Titans have been trying to replace Kearse since he left and pressure from the DE is what makes a Jeff Fisher Defense dominant. I think Jeff Fisher would say Kearse was the best DL the Titans ever had. Heck, they even signed him back to try and rekindle some magic. Who else has left the Titans and returned?

7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

He broke his foot in the 1st game of his fourth season. I would say that was before his prime. He wasn't the same after that. He limped through most of '03, and still recorded nine and a half sacks. Though like Haynesworth, he was playing for a new contract. He really got messed up in Philly with his knee. That game against the Eagles was really the beginning of the end of his career.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Kearse had an amazing rookie season but never was able to develop much more than a speed rush. His numbers declined once OLs were able to figure out his moves (though his sack numbers were still pretty good until the injuries took their toll).

I have a hard time saying anyone was better than Haynesworth his final two seasons as a Titan. When he was on his game, double-teams could not slow him. He made every player on the defense look good.

I'd have to give the edge to Haynesworth because he did have his moments those previous five seasons. They were just too few and far between.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would have never believed a DT could dominate like AH did for a couple of years. He was Reggie White like those years.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

^ :barf:

I know some have a high opinion of the guy, but dang.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar