Billy "Da Man" Volek

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

How long did it take to drop Lamont and Reynaldo? Chances are, someone forced Fisher's hand. Like usual, when things need changed.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Fisher wanted to trade a healthy QB. Why risk injury? The decision was already made.

3. TitanJeff

Who would you have played in '06 over these two players? Again, they were the best players on the roster at the time.

If you are complaining that Fisher SHOULD have had better options, then you need to blame Reese.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Then why even say it was going to be a competition for starter? Complete lie.

That's one reason it makes it hard for me to believe Volek was such a "problem". He was never a problem before that preseason. And Fisher has been known to be secretive and basically lie to the media about issues with the team. Yet, I was supposed to completely believe Fisher that Volek became this whiny problem?

Whether it was part of an overall plan to remove Volek, start Vince early, keep Chow happy, or whatever... it's another pitiful example of the way the Titans organization will treat its own players.

A lot of people wonder why we can't sign free agents and they don't seem to want to come here, I bet Godfrey, McNair, Volek, and others that were treated negatively by this organization weigh into the decision.

It's a way of doing business that needs to be corrected by the Titans organization.

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

The thing that really ticked me off was when Fisher tried to appeal to the fans by publicly stating that "...and Steve (McNair) said so too..." . That was a cheap shot to use when he knew hje was losing the PR battle.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

:bsflag: Why even put him in the game then?

7. TitanJeff

Who knows? Maybe they thought the one play made Volek look as good as he could and leaving him to possibly flop against the Packer scrubs wouldn't help in any trade negotiations.

The moment Reese worked out a deal to bring in Collins, Volek was done in Tennessee. They were only looking to set up a trade at that point.

8. Alex1939

Which completely sabotaged the start of the 2006 season, as well as killing higher trade status that Volek would've had prior to training camp 2006 or possibly after the 2006 season.

Fisher threw this team under the bus with this bit of crappy decision making. Actually both he and Reese screwed this team.

Only the Titans would manage to trade a former MVP QB and a backup QB that many other teams, at one point, would've brought in to compete for a starting job, for 2nd day draft picks. And in the process make the organization look like complete **** that no-one should want to play for.

Fisher better win this next season, because remembering all this reminds me of Fisher's faults and that maybe he should be gone just like Reese and nearly every former Titans generation 1 players.

9. TitanJeff

Right or wrong, Fisher was desperate enough to bring in Collins only 10 days before the start of the regular season. You may disagree with his actions but he apparently, in his own mind, had a strong reason to do it. Based on his history of being overly loyal, it had to be significant -- especially in a contract season for himself after two pretty lousy seasons.

In hindsight? Maybe. But if he felt he had the opportunity to fix a major issue by bringing in Collins. Not making the move would be throwing the team under the bus if he really felt Collins gave the Titans a better chance of winning over Volek.

Would you have been happy paying McNair the bonus he was owed instead? Think the Ravens are happy with their decision?

As for Volek, the Chargers decided to go with Rivers and his damaged knee over him. Think that might indicate their confidence in him as a starter? With retired QBs being brought back into to the league, you'd think teams would be working deals to get their hands on Volek. It ain't happening for a reason.

Yet he managed an 8-8 season the season he brought in Collins and a 10-6 season the next. He's doing a few things right.

Every team in this league has issues. We generally only pay close attention to the Titans. Despite all the problems with this franchise, it is improving and we're about to see a series of playoff appearances or more. Fisher is a big part of that. Though far from perfect, I wouldn't take but a handful of other coaches over him.

10. Alex1939

Except clearly Collins wasn't ready to be the QB to start the 2006 season. So Fisher made a poor decision, bad mistake; in other words screwed the team over. I can't imagine a scenario where Volek would've been worse in those early games.

Never suggested paying the McNair bonus. But would've certainly had the issue resolved prior to him being "locked out" of the training facility.

I'm focusing on overall team appeal here. We aren't doing good from the standpoint of how we treat our players. You NEVER see other teams pulling as much crap with players as we do.

I for one think that was a bad move by the Chargers. Rivers could've seriously damaged his long-term future. And he didn't do anything special in that game. I think Volek could've matched his performance.

Fisher blackballed Volek around the NFL by damaging his rep. I really do think Fisher draws that much respect out of owners around the league. But seriously, if Volek was something amazing some team would've tried to go after him for a starter. I'm not saying Volek is anything great.

I just can't give Fisher a pass for the way he handled the start of the 2006 season. I thought it was horrid. I also wish he would just be more forthcoming and honest in his interviews regarding this team instead of spouting his usual bs.

My patience for Fisher getting the Titans a championship is wearing thin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar