Billy "Da Man" Volek

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

kerryfreakincollins was who I thought he was, and we signed him anyways. We signed him anyways!

storms off the forum

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Again, how could anyone have known Collins was going to be so bad? Yes, in hindsight, it was a mistake but if he did nothing and it was Volek who stunk it up in those early games, you'd say Fisher threw the team under the bus for not trying to upgrade the QB.

Volek could have BEATEN the Pats by 24 points! Or he could have thrown six INTs. It's all speculation. But playing an injured QB over one who is 100% tells me they felt even a gimpy Rivers gave them a better shot than Volek did.

Yet he was 8-8 that season and 10-6 the next. Despite his faults, he's taking the Titans in the right direction. Do you think anyone could come in and do better?

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Who could have known Collins would be so bad?? EVERYONE. Even the talking ESPN heads were saying how crazy it was to think Collins would be able to pick up the playbook in 10 days.

There is no way imaginable, to me, that Volek could have been anywhere near as bad as Collins was in the first games of the 2006 season. Most people, I believe, would agree with that statement. If for no other reason than at least Volek had familiarity with the team.

If nothing else, Fisher could've started Vince from day one, who at least had spent a full offseason with the team.

Pulling in an aged veteran, ONE WEEK BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED, and expecting success was a horrible decision and expectation by Fisher.

Just because the Chargers decided to go with an injured Rivers doesn't mean they made the right decision. They lost the game, and while Rivers moved the offense adequately, he also didn't do anything special in the game. Further damage to the knee could've ended his career (well for all I know with my limited medical knowledge).

I'm not sure playing people who are severely injured is a good policy for an organization or a good message to send out regarding the importance of a game over long-term physical well being. I applaud LT for sitting out believing that the two healthy running backs behind him gave the Chargers a better chance to win. (Even though LT did act like a chump on the sideline which I do think was lame)

Yes I think it's possible someone could've come in and done better over the last two seasons.

I can't completely discredit Fisher though, he's been a pretty good coach and done a pretty good job the last couple of seasons.

But I am not in the camp of "The Coach Can Do No Wrong", which is the way I believe a lot of fans think. Fisher has had over a decade to win a superbowl with no success. He's had home field advantage throughout and not gotten the job done. I don't want to wait another 10 years to see if Fisher can finally get a championship.

And wouldn't we be a few steps closer, if theoretically, we traded Volek for a better draft pick back when Volek had more trade value. Or perhaps, again theoretically, if McNair had been treated with dignity on his exit from the Titans perhaps a FA or two would've signed with us.

I really think the Titans rep is one reason quality FAs aren't overly excited to become Titans.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You do realize that Vinny the Retired came in under a week and led the Panthers to a win this season right?

But it tells me a lot on what they think of Volek.

Every coach not named "Belichick" has flaws.

The Titans haven't had money to spend until the past two seasons. What "quality" players do you feel the Titans have missed out on? They outbid for Stallworth. He decided a Super Bowl shot was better than a QB in his second season.

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Remember when a lot of folks on this board was saying last yr that all the quality FA's would come here to play just so they could play with Young...that didn't happen

6. Alex1939

Good point.

Also sounds like they may cut him and go with Whitehurst as the longterm backup to Rivers.

He has had some decent moments playing for the Chargers, but I really wonder where he will end up if he leaves there. Wonder if a team like Atlanta, Miami, or Baltimore would try to use him as a filler starter for a season while a rookie developed?

That's the deal I was always hoping the Titans would be able to pitch when we had him.

Of course.

You asked if I thought it was possible that another coach could come in and do better than 8-8 in 2006, and 10-6 in 2007. I say yes.

Do you think there is not another coach anywhere that could do as good, or better, in those two seasons other than Fisher and Belicheat?

I'm just saying it's in the realm of possibility.

I just didn't see many players acting like Tennessee would be a great place to come play. You'd think, with the team appearing to be on an upswing with the current longest active winning coach, that some players would be eager to play for the Titans but it just didn't seem like many were.

I'm not really sure how big of a factor it is to other players honestly. Obviously if the price is right I don't think people will really care too much where they go.

We had a SuperBowl shot this season.

7. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

So did every other team in the NFL. Realistically we did not. Especially if you look at what most pundits predicted, we overachieved.

8. Alex1939

Not every team in the NFL makes the playoffs. This kind of seems like the same loser mentality that Fisher has had of late. Like, somehow, making the playoffs was enough. All it takes after making the playoffs is a 4 game run. Need to make the most out of our playoff opportunities because the chance to make it sure is hell isn't guaranteed.

We made the playoffs, we had a shot at the superbowl. But we sure didn't play like it in our only playoff game.

9. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

Are you kidding? All it takes is a 4 game run? It's hard enough to do that in the regular season let alone in the playoffs. Just because you make it to the playoffs doesn't mean you have a "shot" at the Superbowl.

It's great to be optimistic but lets be real here. Just because you get a lottery ticket does not mean you are a millionaire.

10. Alex1939

:grrhee: That was good with the lotto ticket analysis.

I'm just saying it's hard work to make the playoffs. But making the playoffs is what a team needs to do to really have a shot to make the Superbowl.

Thinking of Superbowl 40 when the Steelers won and the run they made in the playoffs really has me believing any team that makes the playoffs has a serious shot at a Superbowl if the team can just put together it's best football for the month of January.

But there is no argument here really. The Pats clearly looked like the team with the better chance for a Superbowl before this season began. Stallworth signed there for that reason among others.

All I'm wanted to do was point out, hey, we had a shot at the Superbowl this season and blew it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar