Billy Volek is a free agent

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

It seems certain that the Titans will draft a QB fairly high. Maybe round 1, maybe round 2... whatever (I'll leave that discussion to the draft forum). It also seems pretty clear that none of the QBs in this draft class are ready to start from day 1. Locker and Gabbert both have pretty good upside, but I think everyone agrees they would be much better off sitting on the bench for 1-2 years.

The recent trend in the NFL has been for rookie QBs to start from day 1 (Bradford, Stafford, Sanchez, Flacco, Ryan). However, they say the NFL is a copycat league and we all just watched Aaron Rodgers (a guy who sat on the bench for 3 years) win the Super Bowl, so maybe things will flip around again. I firmly believe that a few years of development behind an established starter can be a great thing for a young QB.

Billy Volek is a free agent and I think he's a guy the Titans need to consider bringing in. We all remember the success he had here. He was run out of town by Fisher, but that regime is gone. He might welcome a return to Tennessee at this point. It's one of the few teams in the league that he could start for.

Volek has barely played during the past several seasons (Philip Rivers is rarely hurt and plays through injury when he is), but he has looked really good when he's been on the field. When Rivers (and LT) was hurt in the playoffs a few years ago, Volek came into the game and beat the Colts. Here's the video if you forgot about this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJsexUe-rhE
    I think Volek's more than capable of running a decent NFL offense. He can't be worse than Kerry Collins, can he?

Since he's 35 and has been mostly a backup in his career, he is probably the ideal QB to have ahead of a developing rookie. He would be cheap and disposable. When the rookie is ready to step in, there probably won't be anyone demanding that Volek keep the job. Volek might be happy to slide back into a backup role at that point.

He would also come for free since he's a free agent. No need to trade a 2nd round pick for Kyle Orton or a 1st round pick for Kevin Kolb. Keep those valuable draft picks and use them to rebuild.

Getting Volek would mean the Titans are fully committed to rebuilding, but I think we all pretty much realize that that's the case anyhow. You roll with Volek for 1-2 years and then your rookie takes over when he's ready.

Thoughts? Even if it's not Volek, I think it makes much more sense to grab a FA QB to play while a rookie develops. It would be dumb to trade a high draft pick for a QB unless you're sure he is going to lead the franchise for the next 5-10 years.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I know you put some time into this so I'm not gonna be a jerk and say who gives a F, but really, Billy Volek?

You make good points for him being cheap and disposable but that's about it. Dude is no better than KFC right now. And if he is, he's still not that much better. I'm gonna have to say puff puff pass.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I fully expect most people to disregard this, but I think it's a mistake to write off Volek's abilities just because we haven't seen him do anything for the past several years. The guy has been stuck behind one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

The only evidence of his abilities (the few times he's actually played) has shown that he can still play at a high level.

The Titans are going to have to sign someone to play QB. I'd rather have Volek than a guy like Jake Delhomme. I'm rational enough to realize that the Titans aren't going to have a star at QB next season and I'm trying to figure out the best possible (emphasis on possible) solution.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

He was never a bad QB at all - he would have had the starting job in TN if he hadn't jilted Fisher. Then he gets stuck behind Rivers... He's much safer than Kolb. I totally agree he should be on the long list of guys we take a look at.

5. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

It could well come to Kerry Collins or Billy Volek. Those could literally be the options if the CBA thing goes right up to the start of the season. I hope it doesn't come to that, but if Dinger is still around, Volek knows the system and I'd rather see him out there than Collins. But, it is a bit like choosing between poop or crap.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

This was supposed to happen 5 years ago!

I'm against bringing back former Titans players so I say no. Also I think it's telling that Volek didn't fight for a trade or sign somewhere he could compete for a starting job. (And I'm someone that still supports Volek over Fisher in that media spat)

7. Ewker

Ewker Starter

we could do worse than Volek. He is worth a look

8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

A 35 year old that hasn't started since '05? No thanks.

9. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Hmm...

We bring in a QB who had a spat with Fisher, after trading a player who had a spat with Fisher.

Makes perfect sense to me!

10. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I wouldn't be against this. Sign him, draft a QB in round 2...use the money we save from VY and Collins to upgrade the dline and oline....
    I would rather do this then deal a 1st rounder for Kolb or a 2nd rounder for Orton...

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar