Bironas Named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Tennessee Titans K Rob Bironas’ 60-yard field goal to beat the Colts earned him honors as the AFC special teams player of the week for the first time in his short career. He is only the sixth player in NFL history to kick a field goal of 60 yards or longer and only the third to win a game from that distance. His came with 7 seconds left to beat the Colts 20-17. It was a franchise record, topping the 56-yarder Al Del Greco kicked against San Francisco in 1996.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Lumebray

Lumebray Virtus Et Honor

congratz, not many people can say they have kicked a 60 yard FG

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

...and I still never get tired of hearing about it!

"Snap...set...kick on the waaaaaaayyyy......"

I went to sleep with ESPN on the TV overnight just so I could hear it over and over again: "The Titans upset the colts...."

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Just for the heck of it i went ahead and did a little research to see where Rob's field goal ranks in terms of the magical word, 'the record'

65 yards - Ola Kimrin, preseason. Denver Broncos 8/25/2002
    63 yards - Tom Dempsey, New Orleans Saints 11/8/1970
    63 yards - Jason Elam, Denver Broncos 10/25/1998
    62 yards - Matt Bryant, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10/22/2006
    60 yards - Steve Cox, Cleveland Browns 10/21/1984
    60 yards - Morten Andersen, New Orleans Saints 10/27/1991
    60 yards - Rob Bironas, Tennessee Titans 12/3/2006

Its funny that the kick appeared as it could go for another 2 or 3 yards. If we were backed up another 3 yards and Jeff decided to kick it, he would have tied Tom Dempsey's 63yarder.

IMO, Rob should be rewarded for that kick. He finally got the Dolts of our back. The best way to reward him for that is to have him attempt a couple of 66yarders in any game we are comfortably leading from now till the end of the season. What a better way to reward a kicker than giving him a shot at the record!
    :crazy:

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Hey, I think that would be pretty cool! Do it in garbage time, if nothing else...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar