Blount and Keglar cut in favor of 2 ST LB's(shaw, bailey)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Jazzy Titan, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdizzle

kdizzle Camp Fodder

Purely coincidental, Ben Troupe did lots of things but I don't think leaping over people was what made him suck or you saying all people that leap suck?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

"Shaw, a fourth-year pro, recorded a franchise-record 30 special teams tackles in 15 games for the Bears last season."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100905/SPORTS01/100905009/2162/Titans+waive+Blount++Keglar

3. 10winsn2010

10winsn2010 Camp Fodder

Blount?

I agree with those that say Blount would probably not see the ball to often.

They are going to let Chris Johnson have all of the carries that he wants. He has earned the right to ask for the ball and to gain as many yards and rack up stats as much as he wants. He is on the way to the HOF and the team should not get in his way. Because he is a speed back his productive years will not be that many. A short stocky runner with power in his legs might last like an Emmitt Smith did. Johnson will slow down sooner than a power back will lose his power. The team is considering Johnsons window of opportunity. Good for them. Keep him in there even for short yardage and goal line stuff. He is good enough now to juke his way through the line and get those yards. I think third and 3 or third and 2 are excellent times to pop him outside and let him go the distance.

Also,..... if there is a weak spot in the defense as is, it is in the LB corp. It's a good thing to bring in guys that are hungry to push the starters. Upgrading the LB position is job #1 starting right now on defense. If these guys don't fit then bring in some more....Keep doing it until somebody steps up. The core of the offense should remain the same for a few years. The Titans should be sniffing a super bowl run......the only thing missing is an all pro linebacker... IMHO.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I wonder if we can talk Glenn Coffee out of retirement.

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Realistic concern. I think they might be signing a vet RB after week one so his salary isn't guaranteed for the entire year. I suppose it might be a little bit of a gamble to go a week with only three active backs(including Hall), but chances are Ringer gets like three carries against the Raiders.

I seriously doubt we go with 8 linebackers for more than a couple weeks.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

8 linebackers in a 43D - ridiculus. Got lots of LBs and Ss that can't play LB or S.

Just stunned, not even ripping the Lagaarreettee cut, just acquiring a nickey clone at LB.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The reality is that special teams (excluding Bironas) is by far the weakest and less talented on the team. It also has by far the worst coach on the staff.

Keglar was useless so dropping him was a good idea.

Upgrading the special teams is IMPORTANT! Shaw will play in every game and will help in every game. Blount won't.

I like Blount and think he has upside even though he looks kinda slow at times. But the thing is, BECAUSE he doesn't play special teams, he wouldn't be active short of an injury to Johnson or Ringer. And the FACT that his pass protection skills are currently below avg, he had no chance to make the #2 RB spot. So now, they can hope to get him on the PS but if he's claimed, so be it. We don't lose anything as long as our RB's stay healthy. We gain a Special Teams ace instead!

And let's face it, we can always sign Gaddo (who outperformed Blount) or someone like him if need be. Cutting Blount still gives us a shot to keep him if he makes it through waivers.

Gut

PS - And Yahoo sports has this same article regarding Shaw...
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100904_bears_shopping_special_teams_ace_tim_shaw&bcmt=4882247#mwpphu-comment-4882247

PPS - I'd like to stop feeling queasy when we kickoff late in a game or punt knowing we could give up a big return at anytime!

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

If the less talented players play special teams- why would it be so hard to tell a talented player 'Hey- You, get out there...run down the field and tackle the guy with the ball. Oh, and stay in your lane!'

How difficult are special teams, really? That's where they put all the rejects like Nickey that cant do anything else right.

10. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

See that's the problem, a big problem IMO. The reason I was happy about Blount is because he was a power back, a perfect compliment to CJ, an upgraded smash and dash if you will. But instead it looks like we're going to run CJ into the ground. I DON'T want CJ to get 2,000 yards this season. I would have liked to see the backup get around 900-1,2000 rushing yards, but it seems we're going to be content just running him into the ground and get all we can out of him thus shortening his career drastically, just like Eddie George.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar