Bonds Fails Test for Amphetamines

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by A.D., Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

"Barry Bonds, already under investigation for lying under oath about his steroid use, failed a test under Major League Baseball's amphetamine policy last season and then initially blamed it on a teammate, the New York Daily News has learned."
    http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/16433646.htm

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I wonder if he could have thrown a teammate under the bus any quicker?

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Looks bad. But really says nothing about his steroid use. In fact, it helps his case, because he was tested 6 additional times and was clean. The voters for HOF will not likely care about the amps.

I think he's got a good chance to be elected into the Hall. McGwire and Sosa are under even heavier suspicion for their lack of honesty, and ironically. Bonds testimoney may actually work in his favor. It is going to be close I think.

I don't think Sosa, Palmeiro, or McGwire will get in. Their image was obliterated by congress. Which is interesting in itself, since most of it is speculation. Schilling seems safe.

There is of course, the testing results, which may still leak about all mlb'ers, and that is gonna be an even more interesting ride. I hope it comes out, just so the truth is out there. It will devastate baseball, but the questions will be put to rest, and the HOF can go about their business. Any mlb player using should have been more responsible anyway. They were breaking the law, and a code of ethics, and they did not volunteer for the test, they were told to take it, so i don't buy into the idea that they were trying to help mlb solve the problem. They thought they had a free pass. But life doesn't work that way. The Truth doesn't not automatically grant you immunity, it grants you a chance at redemption.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

McGwire and Sosa never tested positive though. Not to mention that Bonds trainer is in prison right now because of steroids. I cant see how Bonds get in on his first ballot, based on how the voters treated McGwire.

5. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Take into consideration that before all of Bonds' alleged steroid use, he was already a hall-of-fame caliber player. McGwire was never a guy who did anything other than hit homeruns. McGwire's career batting average is only .263, which is awful for someone that is supposed to be in the hall of fame. Also, 36% of his career hits were homeruns. All he was was a power hitter, nothing else. Bonds, on the other hand, has had eleven seasons where he has hit .300 or more, good enough for a career average of right at .300. At this stage of his career, Bonds has about 1200 more hits than McGwire had in his entire career. Besides his one year where he went off for 73 home runs (steroids or not, we can only speculate), Bonds' home run totals have been pretty consistent over his career. He's been a consistent late 30's to mid 40's home run guy, take out his record breaking year. I'll admit though, I read Game of Shadows, and the evidence that those two writers were able to pile up against Bonds is hard to ignore. However, I am not going to hold what he did before steroids testing against him, because most of the owners and officials of Major League Baseball knew what was going on and turned a blind eye towards it. So until he actually fails a test for steroids and not just amphetamines, I won't be convinced that he is cheating right now.

6. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Ask Peyton :ha:

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I think most of what you said is irrelevant. McGwire has Hall of fame #S, there is no argument about that. The reason he was kept out is because of the steroid cloud hanging over him. I cant possibly see how you can keep one guy out because of steroids, even though he never tested positive, while putting another guy who has loads of circumstancial evidence and questions surrounding him on the exact same topic. I think McGwire used steroids just as much as the next guy. But I dont think you can punish one guy who you "think" did something, while not punishing another guy who provides probably even more evidence that he did the same thing.

8. BigRed3

Both men have the numbers, there's no doubt about it. McGwire is being held out because he kept quiet under oath... if he didn't have anything to hide, then why didn't he talk? I think this is more of a Major League Baseball problem. The entire time they knew exactly what was happening but chose to put their heads in the sand and ignore it. In my opinion, all of the superstars (Bonds, Sosa, McGwire) from the Steroids era belong to be in the Hall of Fame. However, put some kind of statement on their plaque that says something like "In 2004, Mark McGwire was one of ten Major League Baseball players to appear before Congress to discuss performance-enhancing drug use. His refusal to speak on the matter has shed doubt upon the records that he holds."

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I dont really know how you handle the steroid era and the hall of fame. On one hand I dont think they should be rewarded for cheating. But on the other hand, they were dominant players in a league where far more than just those 3 used steroids. But I do think since they kept McGwire out of the hall of fame, they have to keep Sosa and Bonds out too. On the first ballot anyway.

10. BigRed3

Exactly. I think Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire are basically the martyrs of the Steroid Era. However, it's been well documented that steroid use was pretty much rampant during that era. If you read Game of Shadows, it's stated that Bonds started to use steroids just to keep up with everyone else. Also, there was a report last week that said that in 1998 not only were the players juiced, but the balls were as well. So if that was the case, then Major League Baseball is just as much at fault as the players. The Hall of Fame is supposed to reward people for their accomplishments between the lines, and Sosa, Bonds, and McGwire were the dominant players of that particular era. I don't see how you leave those people out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar