Book Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I had a total brain cramp. Despite the fact I've had the frickin' SUGAR RAY Robinson book in my hand in my post I started yapping about JACKIE Robinson ("I Never Had it Made" is of course Jackie's autobiography). sheeeesh

Other than a couple of books on Ali, I haven't read too much on boxing (that's why the Sugar Ray book has been tempting).

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

So I hear Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is a 'darker' story then the previous three. Is that true?

3. Mac Attack

Mac Attack Guest

I'm reading "Inside the Crips" by Colton Simpson. Only about 40 pages in...but it's awesome. Ice T does the foreward.

Little dude Colton has just been jumped in and is already wasting mofo's. He's 10. Fascinating.

Before that I read Memoirs of a Geisha...I normally don't read fiction. I thought it was a real autobiography of a real geisha. It wasn't. But it was cool anyway.

4. Yes, they get considerably darker with Goblet of Fire, and it escalates with each book.

But as I heard JKR explain once, it's not like they weren't fairly dark to begin with. After all, the first chapter in the series talks about a boy who's parents were murdered...

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Ice T is cool.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I wasn't feelin it in the first two books, Harry didnt seem at all aggressive, he just went with it like he had no idea what he was doing, but in the 3rd he became a lot more aggressive when it came to his parents (wanting to kill Sirius, defending his parents against the Dursleys etc)

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I think what's-her-name (HP writer) does a pretty good job of making him mature and grow more of a personality. I think that's partly why the books get better. More mature content to come I'm sure.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

i agree with that, he makes a major leap from Book 2 to 3.

9. Mac Attack

Mac Attack Guest

Despite being areader my whole life I could never get into the fantasy genre.

Not for lack of trying. I had friends that ONLY read fantasy. David Eddings was the guy "back in the day". I gave everything a shot...I WANTED to love fantasy.

The Hobbit was the only book I was ever assigned inschool that I didn;'t read. I ended up buying the cheat notes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar