Books

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

whinge whinge whinge.

the book sucks anyway.

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

The Golden Compass is doing good business internationally with receipts of $143 million to date. It only needs to make another $37 million to recoup it's budget & is likely to do so.

With DVD revenues & tv rights to come it may well have done enough to green light making the second book into a movie.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Catch-22 Joseph Heller

Almost finished reading this book.

It's taken me two weeks reading some each night to get through 400 pages. Around one hundred to go.

Very few books have made me laugh at loud on a regular basis & reread parts because they are so stupidly funny.

The book is unlike any I've ever read before.It has a structured story but this only becomes apparent as you get deeper into the book.It jumps back & forth in such an erratic manner that it's extremely heavy going for the reader.Yet at the same time it's completely bonkers & great fun.

A challenging but rewarding read,a true masterpiece of English literature.

10/10 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Man, I should have read this thread a while back.

I bought the Golden Compass trilogy of books for my 8-yo son for Xmas. Sounds like it may be too dark for him. He hasn't started reading them yet because he has a backlog of other books.

Also, Childress, I watched the French film adaptation of Harlan Coben's Tell No One when I last flew back to Australia and it was no-where near as good as the book (not surprising).

I also read "Life of Pi" recently. That's one weird-*** book.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    it felt like it may have been about 100 pages to long as a good deal of the content seemed irrelevant or overplayed.
    it was a fairly enjoyable book, but I read it over the course of a year, so there was not much "grip" to it.

by comparison, when I went through His Dark Materials (Golden Compass; et al) I blasted through the books and had a harder time putting them down. The 3 part series just seemed to have more of an "adventure" factor

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Curious, why do you compare the two series? They are unrelated.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I'm sure your son will enjoy The Golden Compass books. Theres elements in it that will appeal to different age groups.

I'm now a firm fan of Coben's books.I love the Bolitar series but I've enjoyed the stand alone books too.I think there are just two or three stand alone books that I have left to read before I'm up to date.

I read the IMDB reoprt on the Tel No One movie & decided to give it a miss.I think I'll do the same with 'Pi' .:ha:

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Is Myron Bolitar just the greatest hero the world has ever seen or what? And piss funny too.......

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'm the greatest hero.

Anyone ever read House of Leaves? That's a strange book.

10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

My bird is now hooked on Bolitar too.:yes:

Never heard of it but the reviews I've just read make it sound bizarre.Did you enjoy it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar