Boycotting Concerts and Music Festivals

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by World Peace, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

It's not the disagreeing but the how you choose to go about the disagreeing that makes it trolling. But I better get out of here lest I get caught in the trolling web myself!

2. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Don't go. I will protect you. :)

3. TitansfaninKY

TitansfaninKY Starter

Im probably pretty biased because I live for live music and festivals but the way that I look at them is like an amusement park for adults. You also dont have to pay $8 a beer if you do that's absurd. Drinking really isn't the goal at these but it is very easy to get hammered at your camp site and even easier to sneak some alcohol in. I have never had them really check my back pack to hard. If they are I usually go and find the volunteer that is out of his mind on something and he will just let you walk in. Too each his own though. Festivals are more of an experience then about the music, but the music is still great. Going to Forecastle this weekend and Gathering of the Vibes next. Expect to enjoy myself more at the Vibes only really hitting forecastle because its local. Plan on prepartying for both pretty hard at my house then at my camp site depending on the festival and im sure Ill drop some money on food/beer and other miscellaneous stuff while Im there but id probably spend more if I went downtown to the bars and got more carried away. I guess it all boils down to what your interested in and if your social or not...

4. TitansfaninKY

TitansfaninKY Starter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j8XZVkH2SI"]Wakarusa 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree 100% with the original post.

I also will boycott spending $250 to go to a music festival where the bands suck and I have to sit in 100 degree heat. Actually I was thinking you couldn't pay me $250 bucks to do that (not sure since it has been years since I went to a music festival but don't they let you know what crappy bands will be playing before you pay $250?).

As for paying a cover charge to listen to a band I don't see the big deal. If you are dumb enough to pay $5 for a flipping beer anyway what is a little extra to hear some music while you are at it. Granted at most of those venues the music is too lound and distorted to really know if the band sucks or not but they could let you in for free and charge $7.50 a beer. Then it would be OK.

As for Ticket Master who cares? Either the price you pay for the tickets you want is worth the value or it isn't. I don't care how the money is divided up. All I care about is getting ripped for $250 to hear crappy music. Besides, most of these bands selling tickets over Ticket Master are making it easier to buy tickets which means more people will show up.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

now that is an excellent rant!

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

To each their own.. but when a "festival" asks me to pay the equivalent of a car payment to attend... they've crossed the imaginary line you speak of.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Mega-tours and the concerts you will see at Bridgestone Arena etc. these days are mostly intended more for corporate reps to wine and dine clients, to cash in on middle-aged GenXers trying to re-live a moment from 1987 or rip off the parents of kids who don't know any better. Festivals are a hell on earth - even if the band playing does or once did mean something to you..

I agree whole-heartily in avoiding those corporate exploits but there are still plenty of live music options that are legitimately not associated with that soul-less culture.

When The Murder Junkies play Foo2 this month know that this an event where nobody is getting rich and when all the bands and attendees show up it will be for the love of the music, ringing ears and hanging with friends. This legit type of event happens every week in every town across the land. Real music culture still does exist and a hearty FU to anyone who complains about the meager offering they have to pay at the door to attend, because you can indeed stay at home with a bottle of Ripple watching your cat sh*t in a box of sand if you are that freakin chincy..

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Who cares? Spend your discretionary income on what you want and stop judging others for what they enjoy.

I'm sure plenty of people think I'm a fool when I drop $50 on a video game. I'm sure plenty of people think "World Peace" aka Erick with a k is a fool when he gambles on online poker.

But whatever, it really doesn't matter.

10. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

So glad my Eric with a k thing finally caught on. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar