Brees and trade 1st round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by smili, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

It was just recently announced y Dr. James Andrews, that in adddition to the torn labrum that Brees sufffered, he also had a rotator cuff problem. That would scare me away from loooking at Brees, Prior to that announcment, I was all for going after Brees.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If they thought Brees would be the better QB, why let him walk? Obviously, they like Rivers more than Brees.

It is my opinion that Leinart, Young and Cutler will all have better careers than Brees will. Let's get together in about a decade to discuss. I think the three clearly have more talent.

And therein is the problem. Brees would certainly cost the Titans a boatload of money and a long-term commitment. They would likely not be able to address the defense through free agency this season or for possibly years to come if they want to keep any of their current talent.

I find it strange that some people here don't want Leinart because he supposedly doesn't have an arm but they want to bring in someone who can't even throw a football right now and make him the top-paid player on the roster in a rebuilding year.

On top of that, I'm willing to bet you McNair outperforms Brees this season.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First we need to evaluate Brees on his own merits. Trying to make a point that SD kept Rivers instead makes no difference.
    Second, you can have an opinion all you want that a guy coming out of college is going to have a better career than a proven NFL QB. 5 times out of 10 your guys will be out of the league in 5 years and if he equals the career of Brees you would be happy.
    Thirdly, Breese is not going to cost us any or much more than the 10 million McNair now costs us per year. You talk about making a long-term commitment to a proven NFL QB is risky but making a 6 year commitment to a QB who hasn't played a down yet and needs a couple of years to develop isn't?
    I'm glad you made the Leinart point. Brees could easily be as good as Leinart will be right now. Why not take the sure thing and save your #3 pick for a stud player who can really help the team. If you wanted to beaf up the defense save the #3 pick for AJ Hawk or trade down and get additional picks. Unless you are saying it is better to spend your money on proven vets who have a proven track record over rookies?

I'm not saying Brees is a super star QB and I wouldn't give the guy the moon to play for the Titans. He is adequate enough to help this team get to the playoffs and the SB if his price is right. His health is obviously a concern and if he isn't going to be 100% of what he was before the injury I wouldn't consider him.

4. TitanJeff

Sure it does. It tells us that the Chargers apparently feel Rivers is the future with his limited game experience.

Once again, look at the programs which picks busts. I don't remember any quality NFL franchise blowing a early first-round QB pick. It is certainly far less than 50%.

We are not the Lions, Bengals, Chargers, Cards and a number of other historical NFL bottom feeders. If you have faith in Reese, you have to think any QB he takes will certainly have more than a 50% chance of becoming a quality NFL quarterback.

And what has Brees proven? That he bounces somewhere between a QB who was such a disappointment another QB was drafted to the guy who put up decent numbers the last two years?

It's about upside. And I put the three QBs we have to choose from above Brees without the top RB and TE in the league beside him.

Brees can't throw a football right now. How do you know what he'll be able to do?

How can you know RIGHT NOW if he'll be 100%? You say he is adequate to help the Titans return to glory but I think it'll be one or two years before the team is ready for that. That is about the time a rookie QB, drafted this year, will be ready to keep the Titans a contender for a number of seasons.

You say Brees will save over McNair and we don't even know what McNair's salary will be when all the dust settles or what Brees will get. I'd be willing to bet they will be close when it's all said and done.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Jeff I dont know how you say Brees has had a rollercoaster career. He has played what 4 years, (maybe 5), and struggled out of the gate like most young qbs but has been great the last two years. After Manning, BRady, and Palmer, maybe Hasselbeck, Im not sure Brees isnt the best in the league at this point and he is still extremely young and could be a high level guy for another 7 or 8 years.

6. TitanJeff

I disagree. I think he'd be very average without LT or Gates. And we don't even know to what extent his injury may limit him.

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

His injury is certainly a fair point, no question about that. But I disagree about your LT and Gates argument. Sure they obviously help, but he has absolutely no WRs either. Keenan McCardell is his best and he certainly isnt a top tier WR like he used to be. So I think you have a tradeoff, where some QBs have great receivers to work with, Brees has a great TE and RB.

And also with regards to the inury. Earlier you were talking about them keeping Rivers over Brees. But do you really think SD has a choice? YOu have a free agent coming off a major injury, or a guy picked 4th just 2 years ago who is still under contract and has no injury issues at this point. They cant really afford to sign Brees to a big contract and also take the cap hit from trading Rivers, especially with Brees coming off an injury. So I dont think you should read into them keeping Rivers over Brees because I really dont think they have much of a choice at this point.

8. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

If that's the conversation their FO had, they should all be fired. You don't let franchise QB's hit the FA market in their prime. You just don't.

9. Brees isn't a franchise QB, though...

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

But honestly what choice do they have? Brees isnt under contract and will probably be the highest paid free agent on the market, as long as proves his injury isnt an issue. So SD would have to really pay up just to keep him, and I dont know the details of Rivers contract but Im sure theres a lot of guaranteed money still left considering he was the 4th overall pick just 2 years ago. Basically they would have a ton of money tied up into the QB position. I dont think they should be fired over this decision, but maybe fired for giving up on Brees to early and not drafting Larry Fitzgerald 2 years ago instead of another QB. But lets he honest here, the chargers have been pretty good the last 2 seasons but they are typically down at the bottom of the league, and the reason is because of what we are seeing now where they are basically in a position to where they have to let their pro bowl QB walk for nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar