Brett Farve's 269 Consecutive Starts*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by World Peace, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Should we place an astrick next to Brett Farve's 269 Consecutive NFL Starts* because of his Vicodin use?

For those who are unaware, Vicodin is a prescription narcotic based pain killer that could have given Brett Farve an unfair advantage.

Thoughts? Comments?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

ALL of these NFL players are taking something to deal with the abuse the league puts on them. Him going nearly 300 straight is crazy, but not illegal or anything.

3. World Peace

Like what? Cortizone Shots? Are any narcotic based? If this is true, then I await the day congress gets in NFLs business.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well yea they all have cortisone shots and stuff, but just listen to some of the interviews online. You'll notice every once in a while some reporter asks hows the injury and the player might say something along the lines of "I took something" or "they did something" which to me says they shot me full of pain killers. Cortisone is different than narcotic prescriptions only because they decreasing inflammation of irritated tissues. But they still knock out pain the same as vicodin relaxes muscle fading the pain.

5. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I would think that the fact that he was loopy on painkillers for all those years would make the consecutive starts record all that more impressive. I can't take two Vicodin and tie my shoes.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/features/favre/flashbacks/bitter_pill/
    this link is great.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

spelling police says you spell his name Favre*

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

from the previously posted link.
    it looks like there is a lot of pain mismanagement in the NFL. I don't think Favre is tainted for it. You think Steve McNair never took painkillers or injections?

10. World Peace

Just frustrating when an entire newsday @ espn is used to talk about steroid abuse (Yes, steroids are legal and can be prescribed) as a performance enhancing drug and they talk about astricking sports personal accomplishments because of it...

Yet, in the NFL, we can all acknowledge that pain management is part of the game, and players taking pain medication, whether prescribed or not, helps them get back on the field and could help athletes set records. When pain is alleviated, performance is enhanced.

I must beg the question... Without Brett's fascination for Vicodin, could he have the 269 Consecutive Starts record today? I highly doubt it.

Does anyone know which acceptable and non-acceptable pain medications are used in the NFL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar