Bring back Justin McCareins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by World Peace, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

So, what do you suggest instead?

Do you suggest we become a pass first team with Collins?

Can't score if they don't have the ball.

Is it any more trollish than you and Eddy bashing VY in every thread that offers an opportunity?

If you look at my original post, it was there for one reason, to state you were incorrect that we were throwing only because we were behind. We started the game throwing, it wasn't only to come from behind. I'm guessing the coaching staff figured the Jags were going to use everyone to stuff the run, so we surprise them with throws.

You know I don't like Collins (as a player), so of course I don't like a plan that focuses on him. Maybe if he had played better the first 3 games I'd think differently, but I did not expect the offense we ran against Jacksonville in the first half.

So, are we never allowed to discuss or question the playcalls of the Titans?

Down 17-3 in the first half. 3rd and 1. You have Kerry Collins as QB. You have Chris Johnson and Lendale White as running backs. What play would you like to see?

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Hell no. I do like that we are willing to pass ON first, however.

They can't score if we actually field a defense. Why is the defense never your focus? They would still get the ball. They may end up having less opportunities to run up the score, but when you are behind, you are passing the ball. How much sense does it make to wear out your best redzone threat from a season ago making him run between the twenties? I agree that Lendale could grind the possessions out better, but we need points as well.

Sorry, but just because we pass on first down doesn't mean we intended to come to the game and sling the ball 35-40 times. You are wrong. Once you are down a couple scores, you don't have much choice. That is why we threw the ball as much in that game, and that is why we have been throwing the ball so much. Fix the defense, and you'll get to see your precious Fisherball again.

Like I said, the same play worked out great for the Jags. Earned them six. That's what I would want to see happen for us. First downs are always welcome, but when you're down, you need points. I would be completely satisfied seeing White hammer out a first down in that situation, but I also understand, even appreciate (considering past offenses) the offense taking a shot on third and one (situation the defense is sure you're going to run) to get us back in the game.

3. Alex1939

Sorry to bump this thread that none but us are interested in.. but here goes...

Did you notice we passed the ball on our 2nd possession on 3rd down with 2 yards to go? Did you notice we passed the ball on our 1st possession of the 2nd quarter on 3rd down with 1 yard to go?

Guess the next play we ran after those two plays.

If you guessed PUNT, you win.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Hmmm... I believe this is the exact opposite of what you were saying back when you were complaining about Lendale. You know, he could never break a big gain, we needed to get a RB who could actually break out for long carries... I'm betting you'll claim you don't remember saying these things.

It's fine if you want to wish for a perfect running back. That's great, I hope your wishes make it come true. However, the inconsistent complaining is what kills me.

5. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

Nope. Not at all. He wouldn't make the situation any better

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Point is?

7. Alex1939

That our offense shouldn't be throwing the ball on 3rd and short early in the game.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

So you ignore the 23 yard strike to Washington on 3rd and short? The 7 yard pass to Gage on the third and short? Again, point is?

The only thing I'm seeing that I don't like on third and short is that Johnson remains in the backfield most of the time. We need White in there so the defense thinks we might pound the ball in, and in the right situation we would pound the ball in.

9. Alex1939

On the 23 yard play to Washington, that was 3rd and 3. Yeah, I know, I said 3rd and short, I should've been more specific. 3rd and 3 is a little more optional to me than 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1.

Going back in the thread, talking about the Jags last week, I pointed out another 3rd and 1, early in the game, where we threw the ball and had to punt.

We have LW. We have CJ. We are a losing team. We are a run first, clock control team. Kerry has been struggling. Why throw on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1?

Why are you making an argument against it?

The 7 yard pass to Gage was in the 3rd quarter, and we were down 28-9. Again, I've only been speaking about the 1st half, and how we've clearly gotten away from the style that Fisher is known for, even EARLY in the game.

My friend was joking at the Colts game on that first 3rd and 2 that we would come out in the spread. We didn't, but of course we threw and then punted.

I agree I'd like to see more LW in that situation. I really just want to see both backs fresh.

BUT, carries broke down 10 to LW and 9 to CJ, and CJ had a bad game. So that didn't work out well.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Because this is the creative play-calling we all wanted back when Chow was relieved of his duties. We have that now. Plus, with White and Johnson both looking less than stellar (and yes, I have been more impressed with White on the few carries he's received), I'm not so sure we convert on third and short, even 3rd and one, trying to pound it up the middle. It's not just Kerry struggling, if you haven't noticed. Right now, execution is a problem across the board. The play-calling isn't the problem.

White didn't really have a good game. He got about half his production on his last three carries, in garbage time against the prevent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar