Brown gets early hook against Cards

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I don't think anyone doubts that Brown is trying, he clearly is. The problem is that he's trying to do to much and while that does give you a chance to make a big play, it's far more likely that it'll lead to giving up a big play. For example, great corners sometimes take a chance and jump a route they thik they've diagnosed and everything is gravy when it works but but the flip side to that is possibly giving up a TD. Players who take too many chances usually end up hurting their team. When Fitz throws picks he's just trying to "make a play" too, but he ends up doing more harm than good.My bet is that Brown has been straight up blowing assignments this season, was made aware of it, didn't change, and then got pulled. I have no hard evidence for this really, it's just what makes the most sense to me.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Verner has this issue going on. Nearly half the time he jumps a route he's getting called for interference. But its usually worth the gamble considering he has 5 INT's.

3. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Thing with Vener is he is very rarely ever wrong about a route he jumps. The guy is either smart as hell or psychic because he shows great anticipation when jumping routes. A lot of the PI's he gets are complete and utter bullcrap, he plays a suffocating style and the league doesn't want this because it stifles the passing game. They want everyone to play 10 yards off. Only thing that hold Vern back is his physical skill set. Put him in McCourty's body and you have a Revis-like CB.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I agree with you that it would make sense, but my point is, looking at those 6 plays I just don't see the justification.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Agreed. Maybe they were just the last straw if a long string of inefficient plays? Kinda like how one or two dropped passes isn't a big deal but if it happens consistently you get Kenny Britt'd.

6. JCBRAVE

Also remember, before Pete Carroll signed on in Seattle, the Seahawks fulfilled the Rooney Rule by interviewing Leslie Frazier first.

This interview may be nothing at all for Titan fans to worry about.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Wrong thread?

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

It's a bit shocking for people to draw some of the conclusions they draw. Let's see...

Someone thinks a Hall of Fame OG (Munch) doesn't know if a LB is doing his job?

Someone thinks the coaching staff is immature but the LB making immature comments is the mature one?

Someone thinks the coaching staff is gonna come out and rip the player and tell you exactly why he got pulled or benched?

Someone thinks the player doesn't know why he's been pulled/benched when said player tells you he knows why?

Said player is also giving himself a pass for what he's doing wrong AND telling you no one can change him but that's on the coaches, right?

And by the way, I could see this being more in Gregg Williams' wheelhouse (the pull/benching) as Williams has been a very effective coordinator because he preaches accountability!!! The defense needs to be a cohesive unit that works together. Maybe if Brown were a young Polamalu or superstar player that single handedly could change the effectiveness of an offense, they might let him be more free...but he's not in the same zip code of that right now and that is his (and others on D) biggest problems and why sometimes we can smother the run and other times get gashed for 15 yards.

I wasn't a big Brown fan when we drafted him as I thought we reached for him and he was a size speed guy, not an instinctive LB, not a good tackler and took bad angles (which didn't matter as much in college because he was so fast compared to most). He has shown flashes of being a dominant LB because when he puts it altogether he has the speed and burst to make plays. The flip side is, he shouldn't be getting beat deep by a TE or RB. He shouldn't be overpursuing and giving up big holes in the run game. He can't take poor angles or decide to take some plays off and not give great effort!

If he just did his job, this wouldn't be a discussion because he wouldn't have been benched, our D would be better and the only thread would be how we need more LB's like Brown!!!

And Munch, like most coaches give coach speak when talking about why players are suspended or benched. If you don't like coach speak, they feign ignorance! Believe me, they know every detail of why any starter or important backup player is not gonna play...especially when his job is on the line and benching said player diminishes his chance at success.

Fans always blame the coaches for a player not playing. How about the concept that you are paid millions of dollars to play a game and follow the rules. Don't do your job and someone else gets the opportunity. Break team rules and you get the known consequences and that's on you. Be a professional and do your job! Take a look at Vernon Davis. Sometimes if you take that mindset to do your job and become a professional, you become on of the best players in the league at your position. Then you don't need to talk about how great you are...everyone else will be doing that for you!!!

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Your post would carry more weight if Munchak hadn't directly said he didn't know why Brown didn't play more.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. JCBRAVE

I believe this was the reason Fokou was brought in, to teach these young LB's of ours technique and accountability.

Jerry Gray claims he couldn't fully install his defense with all young LB's in 2012 because they weren't sure of what they were actually seeing.

All of our LB's need to mature quick, otherwise we'll be 6-10 every year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar