Bullish Battle looks good

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

One of the more under-the-radar training-camp competitions is the one for the third running back position, with Jalen Parmele and Jackie Battle the primary competitors.

Parmele has missed the last few days with an ankle injury, giving Battle an opportunity for more action. Battle took advantage during Saturday’s scrimmage at LP Field, with a number of productive carries. During one series, the Titans handed off to the 6-2, 240-pound Battle three straight times and he bulled his way for a first down.

“You have to take advantage of every opportunity that you get,” Battle said. “You know how training camp is. It’s a grind. When somebody goes down, I think I’ve got to step up.”

Titans coach Mike Munchak said he’s starting to like what he sees out of the 29 year-old Battle, who’s run for a combined 908 yards and five touchdowns over the last two seasons.

“He’s got to get comfortable with what we do, but he runs hard,” Battle said. “I think he fits our kind of system. I think he has a role in that way. He’s definitely getting a chance to get a lot more reps than he would have gotten.”

Munchak added that special teams contributions will play a key part in picking a winner for the third running back spot.

He’s eager to see how the backs fare Thursday against Washington in the preseason opener.

“(Running backs) are guys you want to see how they’re running on Thursday when you cn get tackled and how they respond to getting hit hard,” Munchak said. “Is that ball going to come out? Where’s that ball security at? Those are the kind of things you’re hoping to see Thursday night.”

Battle has not fumbled in 285 NFL carries, while Parmele has fumbled once in 47 NFL carries.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News, Training Camp

Source: Titans Insider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar