Buying on-line off an individual....Paypal?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobo, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Let's say I want to buy something off of someone on a forum for sale ad, and he wants to use Paypal. I thought Paypal was basically for Ebay stores or other on-line stores for safe transactions. I searched a bit, but can't seem to find the benefits (if there are any) for my situation. Anyone used it in this way?

2. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

I use paypal any way I can. I use it on this other forum to buy stuff off individuals all the time. Its safe, its secure, and most time its instant payment. I have it linked so it can take money directly out of my bank account and I can also deposit money if I sell stuff. Dont know if this helps, but I like paypal.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Unfortunately (I believe) you don't really have any security if the guy just takes your money and runs off with it.

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Paypal has buyer protection options and if you use a credit card as your Paypal source you have the buyer protection of that credit card as well.. Just make sure your purchase doesn't fall outside the protection specs - and as far as the deal itself goes if it smells fishy , it probably is..

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Ok so I'd probably directly get funds from my checking account and pay him via Paypal. I'll try to find out about protection through Paypal and my bank. Doesn't smell fishy, but there are plenty of bad guys who are good at what they do :-/

It's a guitar btw, and I'm going to try and sell one of mine so I guess Paypal might ease the nerves of the guy on the other end of that deal.

Does it cost anything buying and selling like this? I assume it would, I think I've heard something like 3% tacked on when buying on Ebay with paypal.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There is a small fee. The PayPal site has the details and 3% sounds about right.

You can pay him through your checking account via PayPal. But it takes a while to set up eChecking. You have to sync up PayPal to an account. Then, PayPal sends you a small amount of money you have to confirm once you are notified of the deposit (2-3 days). Once you do that, you're set.

If you don't have the funds in your PayPal account (some don't feel comfortable leaving money there) you can pay and it'll come out of your checking. It takes longer as it has to clear but you still have the PayPal protection.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

They got buyer protection, and the sale is documented so its not easy to get screwed

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

What guitar are you getting and what are you selling?

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Oh just some metal type guitars. I have a baritone ESP MHB-400 that I want to unload. Practically brand new, just turns out not to be my thing really. I'd like another Ibanez RG, and a guy is selling a nice model that I may end up with.

I played a Les Paul EX (Epiphone) the other day that I was very tempted by.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

It's weird to me that a company like ESP even makes baritones.. Do they have Country Metal bands now? Ibanez makes a quality guitar for shredder types.. Are you a Satch fan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar