C.J.: Running game needs to step it up

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans running back Chris Johnson hasn’t played in a playoff game since his rookie season in 2008.

If something doesn’t change, he thinks the drought will continue.

That “something” is the success in the run game, or lack thereof.

“If the running game doesn’t get going, this is going to be another non-playoff team,’’ Johnson said this week. “But I think we have the players in here to do it, and I think we’re going to be OK.”

Johnson has just 110 rushing yards in the last four games combined after racking up 256 in the first three weeks of the season. He’s averaging just 3.2 yards per carry on the season. Johnson averaged 4.9 yards per carry during the ’08 season, and has averaged at least 4.0 yards per carry in each of his first five NFL season.

The addition of center Brian Schwenke in the starting lineup appeared to make a positive difference in the team’s last game against the 49ers. Johnson appeared to have more running room when he got his hands on the football, but because the Titans fell behind, he didn’t have many opportunities. He had just nine carries for 39 yards in the game.

The Titans also believe running back Shonn Greene will finally be a factor after missing five straight games and carrying the ball just once against the 49ers.

Titans coach Mike Munchak said the perfect carry distribution moving forward would be for Johnson to get 20 carries, with Greene getting 15.

“If he had to carry it 20 times, he should be able to do that now,’’ Munchak said of Greene. “We’ll just have to hope that we can get in a situation where we run the ball 35 times so that he can get touches.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

:obvious:

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

C.J. will get his stats up this week, next week, then fall back in the gutter.

CJ needs to compliment another RB, he can't carry a team, really need Greene to show up going forwards.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

In other news, our defense needs to keep playing well for us to win.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

This is a case where I'd actually like to see Johnson be selfish and use the word "I" rather than "we."
    It's too easy to share the blame when things are going bad and take all the credit when they're going well.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

This just in:

We need to take care of the football.

:pointsky:

7. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Short passes and screens will set up the running game. Long drives will shut rams fans the hell up.

8. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Our D better be giving Clemens hell by God!

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It'll be fun watching CJ tear up the Rams and Jags and then all the CJ fans will come out of hiding by the masses.

10. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

I'm a CJ fan, I'm not hiding.

I think he will get it going this last half of the year, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of the fan base call for a whambulance when he's here next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar