Caldwell steers clear of commercial soundbites

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>Jim Caldwell accomplished his first goal in interacting with the media as coach of the Indianapolis Colts.</p> <p>"To the media, I have one goal today and that is just to make certain that my first press conference isn't immortalized as one of those beer commercials," he said to laughs Tuesday. "But I do look forward to working with you. I understand the importance of what you do and I will assist in that endeavor."</p> <p>If Caldwell someday follows Dick Vermeil, Jim Mora, Dennis Green, Mike Ditka or Brian Billick into a Coors Light commercial, it's not going to be as a result of anything he said Tuesday.</p> <p>That good line came after he affirmed his other commitments:</p> <blockquote> <p>What I want to say first of all to the Colts organization, I commit to enthusiastically represent this organization in a first-class manner with humility, compassion and persistence. To the players and coaches I commit to creating an atmosphere that is conducive to success. When they approach the complex they can expect an open-door policy with every ounce of my energy to make certain that they have a sense that when you come here, you have an opportunity to get better. To the loyal Colts fans that live and die with us each and every week, I commit that your team will continue to play fast, smart and physical. To the National Football League I commit to protect the integrity of the game on and off the field.</p> </blockquote> <p>I found it interesting -- and yes, Dungyesque -- that as he posed and answered the question of who he is, he identified himself first as a son, a brother, a husband, a father and a grandfather, not as a coach.</p> <p>Caldwell didn't delve into his intentions regarding the staff or other potential changes, and he may not know exactly what he'll do in those areas yet. But he did say some assistants&nbsp;"are being pursued by other organizations" and that Frank Reich, who was an offensive assistant this season, will take over the role of quarterbacks coach.</p>

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar