Calvin Johnson runs a 4.33 40?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Bulluck, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

it is, you're right.

I'm just an idiot

2. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

it's all good, you were probably just focused on the article itself ;)

3. http://youtube.com/watch?v=0BPsx77TkqA
    there is one point right before 2 min that maybe it looks like he has some 4.3 speed

but in all fairness he does have a qb that cant throw worth crap so he was never hit in stride... so he always had to stop and then go

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

You almost NEVER see CJ 5 yards past a DB at any range. On almost all his patterns, the DB is within a step or 2.

From the end of the season, guys usually get a bit faster in there 40 because they almost all use trainers who specialize in 40 times (among other things). Most players who run 40's on campus agility tests simply get in a football stance and go. With proper training, they can shave some time off.

This is one of the reasons why some guys run faster (40) than you see them on the field. They can't use all the techniques for running a 40 IN the football game. Also, the 'long striders' usually can run pretty fast in a straightline but not on breaks (need to gather). So a Matt Jones doesn't look that fast on a field when he needs to make cuts. Let him put his hand down and run in a straightline and he's plenty fast. But he doesn't do that too much.

I'm surprised someone is 'hyping' CJ's speed. He's awesome for 2 main reasons. He's huge and has incredible hands. If he runs a 4.4 it'll be more than enough speed! I seriously doubt he runs in the 4.3's and I think the 4.4 range is hard enough for him. Consider I also expect Ginn to run in the 4.3 range, it's hard to imagine Ginn and CJ having a close 40 time.

Most players who are practicing 40's are timed on a handheld (some error). They are typically running on a slower track at Indy and being timed electronicly (though every scout will also time with their own hand timed stopwatch). It's one of the reasons every year you hear a guy (like Pac) say they'll run in the 4.2's (cause they're doing it in their workouts - on there track with a handheld) and end up running slower in Indy (he ran a 4.38-4.39).

Question is, would you trade way up to the 6th rnd for the next Andre Johnson (CJ's slower but better hands)?

Gut

5. lol no... especially when he wouldnt be used enough... we need another receiver like brandon jones, maybe a little taller and better hands, cause bj is pretty friggen fast, but i think tedd ginn will run in the 4.2 range

6. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Bennett would leave Johnson in the dust, lets get real guys

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I used to say Bennett had 4.5 speed, but a certain person named Bennett corrected me....he ran a 4.48 40.

I think CJ will run faster. Even if he doesn't, he can still be a good deep threat because he's tall, huge, and has amazing hands!

Speed is not the be all end all factor.

Gut

8. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

I was jus messing around, but Ne ways, i agree, just look at Ginn, hes all speeed, and I sure dont think hes gonna be good at the next level

9. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

i dont see the agility in ginn... granted i've only seen him oplay a few times and a few highlight videos... but its seems like every TD or big play is straight down the field... maybe a cut or two.... but i dont ever see him juking somebody out of their shoes or changing direction... its always straight and fast

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

calvin just ran a 4.38 at the combine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar