Campbell, Verner struggle

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I ran a frog over with my lawn mower yesterday, frogs can't play football. Sorry, they just can't.

And yes, he is a FA

2. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I'm not worried about what will be our starting defense as a whole. Trust me i'm not in the chicken little camp.My concern is that I saw two guys who are supposed to be battling for a starting CB spot getting torched in MAN coverage by 2-3rd string receivers. Like a kicker's kicking ability, a corner's ability to cover man to man is something that can clearly be seen in the preseason and will likely translate into the regular season. Staring NFL corners shouldn't be beat that often by future bench warmers period.

3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Well, regardless of what happened in the game yesterda, we know what we have in Verner already. Its not like he will have regressed from last year.

But yeah, yesterday's game means very little.

4. GL2814

GL2814 Starter

Watching Verner in that #20 jersey get beat deep brought back horrible memories of Nick Harper....

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

Joe Webb was muscling Tommie, and Joe Webb is a QB turned WR.

If Tommie can't own Joe Webb in a preseason game, he's not starting any games.

• High Five High Five x 4
  6. JCBRAVE

Yea I know right...

But in Verners defense, he was playing out of position. Verner never plays on the left side of the defense, so hopefully thats why he looks so sloppy, and not because some back-up receiver out played him.

7. Doc

Doc Pro Bowler

Completely agree with you JC. I am a big supporter of Verner and have been since we drafted him so I admit some bias, but I don't see how Campbell could have earned the starting nod. I feel like there is way too much hype. I know he's got the athleticism but he's way too raw and needs to get smarter if he wants to be a starter.

With that said, I am very nervous about our secondary. I love Verner and think of him as the next Finny with his fiestiness, but he looked BAD last night. Maybe it was the vanilla play calling or lack of help from additional players, but he got owned. For a man fighting for his starting job, I expect much more smack-you-in-the-mouth football from him.

8. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

Only positive is the game we actually game planned for our defense played very well. It was the games we didn't plan for that we got owned defensively in.

9. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

We also had 2nd and 3rd string dl rushing the passer. The qb had all day to throw early and we didn't start getting pressure til late on and played much better in coverage. Corner is a position that can look really bad if the qb has all day to throw.

10. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

This will mean that Griffin will play 50 yards deep now to help out which ever one wins the nod next week. This will be a huge concern for me going into the season. Neither one looks the par to play at a high level, better yet an average level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar