Can anyone justify Andrew Luck's decision?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Can't follow a thread, check.

The housing thing is just ONE example of how that money could be spent. I pity your lack of imagination.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You should really pity your so called justification for continuing this thread. I also like how you didn't (couldn't) reply with reason.:brow:

3. Alex1939

Can't buy the houses I listed, which is a direct response to what he couldn't afford at 21. Whether or not that's his desire I'm not speculating on. I'm providing something factual he CAN'T do by passing up money.

Nowhere in this thread have I implied that. It's your choice to act like "some" other posters here that just make things up in order to argue on a forum.

So your point is, he may not want that stuff? Fine. I don't disagree. I've just listed things he CAN'T do by passing up the big money, in specific response to another poster.

Now I've replied with reason. Seems pointless as all you want is to argue and throw out petty insults. All you've done since you initially posted in this thread.

If you have something substantial to add from here I'll respond. I'm not going to waste any more time on your childish baiting.

4. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

C'mon man. You are taking this a little too literal. Obviously if you look hard enough you can find something that costs more than 50 million dollars. My point is that to burn through either 50 or 80 million dollars, you've got to want to try to spend 50 million dollars. Apparently Luck doesn't feel like he is going to spend that much money. If he only plans on spending 10 or 20 million dollars, it won't make a difference to him how much is left over.

I'd feel great about it. But most college football players aren't going to make their career decision based on how many people they could employ with the extra money they make. I think you'd have to be an awfully selfless person to make a life decision like this based on things you could do for strangers.

Maybe he doesn't plan to spend 50 million dollars. And his parents are already by most people's standards rich. They don't need him to buy houses. And I would imagine that they have told him as much.

If you don't plan on spending more than ten or twenty million, what difference does it make if you have 50, 80, or 120 million? Unless your goal is to spend/invest every single dollar you have, you'd never reach the bottom of the well.

Obviously money can buy you a lot of things. But it could never buy him the opportunity to be Stanford's starting quarterback again.

5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

This is all simple economics. The opportunity cost of his decision to go back to school is around $30,000,000. Maybe even more. That is: the sacrifice he made to go to school instead of going to the draft. Fortune 500 companies don't make decisions with an opportunity cost of $30,000,000 -- but Andrew Luck does. Clearly, there is no good economic justification for this move, especially if he ends up playing football in the future

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Alex1939

Just heard on ESPN that it's very possible that this year's draft selections will be under 2010 ruleset, meaning rookie pay scales similar to last year early picks like Bradford and Suh.

So this makes it more likely that Luck indeed passed up in the range of $20-$30 million by not declaring this year. (That is assuming that a new cba with rookie wage scale will be adopted in time for the 2012 draft)

7. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Lol, he is going to Stanford.

I wouldn't go through Ivy League just to leave my Junior year.

Of course I understand.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Maybe he realizes that his $10-20 mil is going to be enough for any normal person? Maybe he loves college football and enjoys the game? Maybe he is the type of person any team would should be proud to have on their roster because it shows leadership? Maybe you should take some of this money you are bound to earn with a finance degree and use it on a degree in social psychology to help you understand others motives?

The only people who should really give a are the Carolina Panthers.

9. Alex1939

I understand the motives, I disagree with allowing those particular motives to trump 20-30 million.

If he's such a GREAT guy why wouldn't he take the extra 20-30 million and donate it!

Everyone acts like is this awesomely NOBLE decision to stay in school and pass up tens of millions of dollars. Doing that makes someone a good person and a good leader and whatever.

I think it makes someone a damn fool.

10. Ai2Ai

Ai2Ai Starter

Bottom line is it's none of your decisions and none of you have the right to second-guess him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar