Can one player make a difference?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

No way! Franchise Tag him i think. He's already missed 2 games this season. I want to see him have one more dominant season before we give him a career contract.

3. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Camp Fodder

Franchising Albert has its risks and benefits. From the team's perspective, an exclusive franchise tag (which prohibits other teams from negotiating with the franchised player) could serve as a sort of test drive to see if Mr. Haynesworth's season is a one time affair or sustainable. It precludes the risk of guaranteeing $15-24 million dollars of salary as well. However, the franchise tag is going to be costly ($6.775 million in 2007, with that figure increasing for 2008). In addition, players dislike the franchise tag because it limits their movement and is perceived by players to be a sign of disrespect, whether intended or not. If Mr. Haynesworth is in the Titans' long term plans, franchising might not be the wisest of moves.

IMO, franchising Albert Haynesworth is a smart move...but you have to be prepared for a protracted holdout as a result of placing the tag. Asanté Samuels, Lance Briggs, Chris McCallister and Walter Jones are just some examples of players who have been disgruntled with the tag and/or held out of training camp as a result. It all comes down to how the Titans feel about Albert Haynesworth. If they feel that he can consistently perform and be the anchor of the defensive line, then you sign him to a large contract that doesn't jeopardize the salary cap. On the other hand, if the organization wants to take a wait and see approach, then franchising him would be a wise decision.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think Al's contract should have some incentives. Maybe some bonus for not missing games. Maybe a few bucks for x number of sacks. He really should be signed to a deal.

5. MDTitansFan

MDTitansFan Guest

yeah one player does make a difference. IF you look last year, bob sanders coming back to the colts, made them a whole different defense. also polumalu of the steelers, when he is gone, they arnt as good. there arnt many teams like this, but there are teams that have that ONE player who makes a heck of a lot of a difference

6. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

They need to do what they can to keep Albert.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Did any of you guys see the Detroit/Packers game on Thursday? Detroit has two of the better DTs in the league and both are paid very well. AH is far more dominate then either of those guys. No comparison IMO.

IMO it is basically idiotic to have a startegy that we want to franchise AH which is what some of you guys are saying. That strategy is at best a last resort. What we want to do is sign him to a contract that is similar to what Redding got with Detroit before AH hits FA and have AH here for the next 5 years. If we screw around with the franchise tag we just drive AH's contract higher and higher and probably end up not keeping him past next year. Believe me, AH will take the Redding size deal just to have the guaranteed money. Sure it is a risk for the organization but that is how the game is played. You don't mess around and lose a guy like AH.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I totally agree Socks. They need to make him a long term deal that will keep him here for the rest of his career. He's an incredible talent and with the right kind of deal both he and the Titans can win. It's just a matter of showing him respect in regards to tendering him a fair deal. Under no circumstance should he be allowed to test free agency. He would get signed away for a kings ransom in no time at all.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Agreed. But it doesn't hurt for Al to know that is the possibility.

I don't think the Titans will use the word "franchise" with him until negotiations are exhausted.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Ok this is the same AH that's in his 6th season. The same AH whose highest sack total prior to this season is 3. The same AH that has NEVER in 6 years started every game of the season.

And it's idiotic to franchise this "one-hit" wonder DT??

The guy can't even play a whole season. He's only been the dominant DT in 1 out of 6 seasons.

I think it would be idiotic to gamble 5-7 years of cap space on someone that has only proven he would be worth it 1 out of every 6 years. :yes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar