can the titans become hybrid 3-4/4-3 D?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Would beat the eff out of the prevent defense our coaches are so fond of.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Kearse is past his prime. But Ford and Hayes would be perfect as OLBs. Hayes rushes from standing position all the time right now. Those speed ends in the 4-3 wouldn't be our ends if we switched.

3. nickmsmith

I think it was '07 we started using a 3-4 somewhat regularly with Schwartz, if you remember, but last year AH blew up and they didn't deem it necessary.

4. 24

24 Starter

You think our personnel fits a 3-4 better than a 4-3? Who would play NT? What happens to KVB? What happens to Kearse? People are obsessed with the 3-4, but just look at the Patriots. They're running a 4-3 now because their personnel fits it better. Our biggest mistake would be forcing a change to the 3-4.

5. nickmsmith

With our current lineups of DE, besides KVB, yes. KVB has been a nonfactor these last two games anywho. We couldn't possibly be any worse against the pass. I know they won't do it, I just like it with the speed we have at DE. I admitted earlier that we don't ave a potential NT, and I don't think we will ever switch to a 3-4 with the current coaching staff, and that's fine. It's worked for us.

It's not as if I'm one of those people who love the 3-4 because it's worked with the Pats and Steelers, I just think it would work for the personnel we will have next year with Bulluck being gone, if he is.

And Kearse was listed as an OLB-DE coming out of college.

This is just fantasy, not as if the coaches would listen if I were actually proposing a change, I'm saying I'd like to see it.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I think anyone who thinks this is even remotely possible has gone crazy. The Titans don't have anything even close to the right personnel for this. In fact, I would argue that the Titans have one of the most 4-3ish sets of players in the league.

Where on the roster do you see an attacking OLB? David Thornton and Shawn Merriman are just about polar opposites. Thornton has just 1 sack in the past 2 seasons. Is Bulluck going to do it? He's too old and not close to fast enough.

Who would play the ILB spots? The Titans barely put 1 MLB on the field, much less two.

Where are the big DEs? Again, Jevon Kearse may have played OLB/DE in college, but at this point he's about as far from a prototypical 3-4 DE as DEs come. He is not big enough. He is way too much of a speed rusher. And you want to put him out in pass coverage some of the time? Where is the evidence that he has any ability to do that?

We all want more blitzes from Cecil, but let's see if the team can blitz linebackers effectively from a 4-3 (I've seen no evidence that the team can) before we start talking 3-4 crazy talk.

7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i never said switch completly to a 3-4. i said just change it up...keep teams guessing.

ppl saying our backers might get eaten up. this could be true. but some thought they would when we lost albe; doesnt seem to be the case though. i dont know.

im just giving food for thought. tyring to think of good ways to overcome the loss of albe. the pressure generated from 3-4 can be overwhelming at times. coming out in some new looks would definitely help make up for big al's loss.

8. Tru Blu

Tru Blu Hit Em Harder

i like the idea of changing to a 3-4 but we don't have the personel for it, we have some guys who can play 3-4 DE but we have no NT and no OLB'S to rush unless you can maybe groom Jacob Ford to that position and Bulluck & Thornton would have to be moved inside

9. For what it's worth, I think they could run a 5-2 lineup on occasion to mess with offenses. Bring in 3 DTs and 2 DEs. Or 2 DTs and 3 DEs with KVB line up inside.

But even then, that's just a wrinkle they couldn't overuse.

10. 24

24 Starter

What happened to all the stunts that we used to run last year? Sometimes we would even line up Haynesworth on the outside. Why don't we try some of these things?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar